[ARCHIVE] SimAntics & World Development

Discussion in 'Development News' started by RHY3756547, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

OK, turns out all the sound files are distributed over many archives, which is indeed fun and exciting.

Weird things: sting_fish_death (tsov2.evt, track 0x00004f81 in TSOAudio.dat), points to sound with decimal id 3132 (0x00000c3c), but in tsov2.dat the string fish death music has id 0x00004ebe... This makes absolutely no sense.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. aidancheddar

aidancheddar Active Member

You can really tell this was their first MMO. xD
  3. heat33330

heat33330 Member

I feel so sorry for you. Maxis mustn't have ever heard of this magical little thing called "organisation".
  4. aidancheddar

At least they got it right the second time around when making Sims 2.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  5. Dark_Kostas

Dark_Kostas Member

I had changed the login server to the online one, so i don't know what happened. I'll do more testing on local login server to see what i can catch up.

No, i am on 64bit.
  6. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

This had nothing to do with this being an MMO. The Sims was... the design was sound, but a lot of the implementation choices seem to have been weird. And by the time TSO came along, they had grown by magnitudes of... take all the six expansion packs and multiply them with the number of new objects (which will give you a rough idea).
    Here are my comments on the TSO's use of the IFF format from another forum:

7. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

Don't say that! You haven't tried loading the data yet!
    I've looked briefly at SimPE's source, and it is a mess. I'm not sure if this stems from the code design or the formats though.
  8. aidancheddar

I meant the organization within the packages. Hell of a lot more cleaner then TSO's.
    I don't mean the .iff files. I mean the files DBPF files that weren't present in the original Sims. The fact that so many things were scattered everywhere in Sims Online, even within the compressed files, as oppose to the more modular sequels, where simply adding one .package file can change the entire gameplay.
  9. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

The Sims was also modular. Objects were self contained within IFF files. I believe they could even hold their own sounds.
    And TS2 also has a ton of formats within the package archives. And unless you're tried loading the data, I wouldn't assume that it's any neater than TS1. Then again, one could always hope - given that TS2 was a much larger production.
  10. RHY3756547

I found one of the stings from ts1 ps2 in the audio files... At least I think it's not normally used!
  11. aidancheddar

Okay, okay. Sims 2 just feels more organized to me. It's just an opinion.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. RHY3756547

I think I've figured out the basic structure that hit events are linked to tracks and code through... I'll post more once I have something working.
    aidancheddar likes this.
  13. RHY3756547

The normal method of calling sounds is revealed by the turkey.txt source file they left in the sounddata folder:
    Code:
            loadl v1 #1536
            smart_setlist v1    //load hitlist #1536
            smart_choose v1        //set v1 to random entry in hitlist?
            set patch v1        //load track specified by v1
            set_loop        //unused, probably standard for this kind of operation in case they want to loop things.
            note_on v1        //play sound in v1 (does this play the track or does setting the patch put the sound id in v1?)
            wait_samp        //wait till it finishes...
            end            //kill the HIT thread

I added comments detailing what I think it does. It'll definitely need more investigation.
  14. aidancheddar

... Turkey.txt. I'll just let that sink in. XD
  15. RHY3756547

Here's a video. What is demonstrated here is merely a hack possible through basic implementation of the HIT system, no actual HIT code is being executed yet, so only the ui sounds and limited object sounds (aquarium, toilet, sink, partly the fridge, trash can) are audible. When HIT execution is working you should be able to hear the sim vox and most other sounds, like the fire and normal UI button clicks.
    RainCloud and aidancheddar like this.
  16. aidancheddar

17. RHY3756547

upload_2014-3-21_1-27-40.png
    I'm starting a new MMO: World of Delegates and these are the main characters.
  18. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

Most of these would be trivial-ish to implement. I never managed to wrap my head around PlayNote and StopNote though. Can you play individual notes of a track? o_O
    Why would you even need that? And how?
  19. RHY3756547

PlayNote and StopNote are unused. HIT does however use NoteOn, where the "note" is a sound id.
  20. RHY3756547

note: after this is done I'm going for multi tile objects, then buy mode. We don't know how a lot of HIT is meant to work but I can easily set up a system for perfect flow control so the subtoutines can at least run, then we've just got the hitlist functions and note instructions to implement in regards to basic functionality.
    heat33330, cnnoi33 and aidancheddar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.