[ARCHIVE] SimAntics & World Development

Discussion in 'Development News' started by RHY3756547, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyber Toon

Cyber Toon Member

So then would I be allowed to connect to the live servers with the build mode dailies, or just master? sorry a bit confused
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. pisarz1958

pisarz1958 Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Just the official releases.
  3. cnnoi33

cnnoi33 New Member

that doesn't really make sense at this point. feels like too early to do that. maybe you could activate the ban system when gameplay works
  4. pisarz1958

pisarz1958 Administrator Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Ok, so floor tool and wall tool are working just fine, build mode too, my productivity is now officially dead. Great job Rhys :D I'd love to see some rendering glitches (just look at these walls, there is something a bit wrong with them) and weird stuff like random floor tiles appearing in game for no reason, thumbnails not being there for 99% of the time etc. fixed.

At least I've almost built a hotel! I always wanted to build a hotel.
    zc456, LetsRaceBwoi, Blayer98 and 5 others like this.
  5. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

It makes every sense. If you start modifying the protocol that the client sends, it could break the servers.
    There's really no bounds checking or anything like that when reading packets yet, simply because I need the servers to crash in order to fix coding errors that I made in the client. But that won't work unless I can rely on the protocol to be consistent.
    And yes, I could implement bounds checking and have a way to turn it off for testing, but that would take time that I'd rather spend on gameplay features. I'm also not entirely convinced that my laptop would be capable of debugging servers and client at the same time now that servers use VS 2013 and client uses 2015, so I'm using the live servers for testing when I don't have access to my tower.
    cnnoi33 and Johannes like this.
  6. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

Wow, talk about going overboard! I wasn't expecting anyone to do this until we implemented saving. :p

Rendering glitches include the walls floating a bit above the floor at further view distances, walls that cut off without making a corner and a few things involving diagonal walls. The appearance of random floor tiles that you see is because diagonally cut floor tiles are handled in the wall data, and it's not being handled correctly when drawing diagonal walls. The thumbnails missing is because I haven't re-implemented the wall/floor content system, which I'm doing today.
    DukeLukum likes this.
  7. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

Now when you attempt to buy a lot, you will get a message that you didn't have enough money - yay! :D
    Changes should be included in daily build.
  8. xXJDrocks450Xx

xXJDrocks450Xx Well-Known Member

PD is getting better (and more professional) by the day. :)
    DukeLukum, AquilaSim and LetsRaceBwoi like this.
  9. xXJDrocks450Xx

xXJDrocks450Xx Well-Known Member

Is anyone else having trouble signing into the city server?
  10. Cyber Toon

Cyber Toon Member

I also found a bug where after you exit the flooring mode, the last place your cursor was will show a ghost floor of the kind you had selected. Also, the floor bleeds on the borders of some parts of some objects. eg the chairs/table on the rug in the room next to the doorless kitchen, and the ceiling lamp in the room bordering the grandfather clock. idk if this has to do with the two floor preparations you mentioned or not, so figured I would post them anyway.
  11. RHY3756547

That particular screenshot had a problem where the floor z buffers were vertically flipped at certain rotations. I'm not blind, those were really obvious problems. That was fixed before I released the build.

I've tweaked the floor z buffers and location since the last build, so in future things should connect seamlessly. ;)
  12. mallhew

mallhew Member

Is it possible Project Dollhouse will one day experience a performance improvement over TSO, given it's using technologies not available in 2002?
    xXJDrocks450Xx likes this.
  13. yoyo

yoyo Active Member

So no forked version through the server? Everything has to be from the master branch?
  14. LetsRaceBwoi

LetsRaceBwoi Well-Known Member

Afr0games Headquarters:
    upload_2015-7-20_20-56-24.png
    A view with walls up of the building

upload_2015-7-20_20-56-36.png
    A view, zoomed in, with walls down of the building
    [​IMG]
    Bob doing important SimAntics research.
    pisarz1958 likes this.
  15. RHY3756547

Yes, it'll render much faster than TSO at higher resolutions thanks to hardware rendering.
    Tirea and LetsRaceBwoi like this.
  16. LetsRaceBwoi

LetsRaceBwoi Well-Known Member

2440x1440 wasn't even possible in the old TSO. :(
  17. Cyber Toon

Cyber Toon Member

There's this problem when I'm creating a character that it always says the name is taken, no matter what I put there. ): And I deleted my previous character because it only actually finished after creating a new character last time i checked.

EDIT: I successfully created a character, trying to see if I can get in or not
  18. francot514

francot514 Well-Known Member

Afr0 youre talking about the custom content branch client??

Good work, maybe is time to allow players have their own created character, instead of always Bob Newbie, that still possible??
  19. RHY3756547

They'd need to log in for that to be possible. Right now I don't have any plans, we still have a lot more to do in other areas first. (build mode pricing, invalid wall positions, new wall content provider)
  20. francot514

francot514 Well-Known Member

No probs Rhys, but maybe a debug option, to allow sims look different or change their avatar body and head data...
    Marvin732 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.