BREAKING: VS2013 Free; .NET, MSBuild, and CLR are open source; & updated patent grant

Discussion in 'Programming' started by aidancheddar, Nov 12, 2014.

1. aidancheddar

aidancheddar Active Member

This is unprecedented for Microsoft's entire history. Though, seems to be a continues trend with the latest version of .NET being open source, coming to Linux and Mac, and created the .NET Foundation. Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 is now 100% free under the Community name. I'm installing it now.

VS2013 Community Notes
    • VS2013 does not change VS2010 projects or solutions.
    • VS2008 projects are not forced into migrating to VS2013, in contrast to VS2010.
    • Serial numbers are no longer asked, but you given a choice login.
    • Acccess to 5,000 existing extensions, Peek, Blend, Code Analysis, Graphical Debugging and full C# refactoring.

.NET Notes
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

I see those posts Fatbag... you're surprisingly anti-corporate.

This won't mean much for us since we still need Monogame since XNA is dead, but I'm wondering what will happen to Mono itself.
  3. aidancheddar

I wonder how this affects the compatibility of Project Dollhouse on other systems.
  4. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

This absolutely freaking awesome. The only thing that could have made me appreciate them more is if they made XNA open source too. I don't see why they put it down in the first place. :\
    Rhys: Technically we don't "need" Monogame, because XNA 3.1 apps still run in Win7 and 8. But multi platform is a wet dream :)
    aidancheddar likes this.
  5. aidancheddar

To be fair, even of they did open source XNA, it would probably be version 4.
  6. francot514

francot514 Well-Known Member

Monogame is not xna open source???
  7. aidancheddar

No. It's like Project Dollhouse or OpenTTD. It was reverse engineered.
  8. Remixful

Remixful Active Member

Still not better than having Visual Studio Professional 2013.. forever. :D
  9. aidancheddar

10. aidancheddar

The CoreCLR, the NET Core runtime, is finally open source now! It builds for Windows and Linux with OS X support just recently added.
  11. aidancheddar

As of today, MSBuild is now open source under the MIT license.
  12. francot514

francot514 Well-Known Member

Youre using Visual Studio 2013 for testing all your stuff, it is high compatible with monogame??
  13. aidancheddar

Yes. It's even in the NuGet repositories. Speaking of which, I need to update to 3.3.