Compiling Project Dollhouse (for noobies)

Discussion in 'Contribute' started by LetsRaceBwoi, Jun 23, 2015.

1. LetsRaceBwoi

LetsRaceBwoi Well-Known Member

1. Download the source using either the command line or this link. The command line command would be
      Code:
      git clone https://github.com/Afr0Games/Project-Dollhouse.git
    2. Download Project Dollhouse from the releases tab, and install it to your TSO directory.
    3. If you downloaded Project Dollhouse from the link in step 1, unzip it.
    4. Download and install Windows Phone SDK 7.1
    5. Open up the Mr. Shipper solution from Others\tools\Mr. Shipper. Build and run it (make sure you've installed The Sims Online New and Improved from the installer before doing so)
    6. Open up VS2010 (Express, or Pro) and open the [Project Dollhouse Source]\TSOClient\tso.client\tso.client.sln solution. Hit the F6 key and you will find a ton of errors. To fix these errors, install MonoGame 3.2 and add references to it where required. Place bass.dll in the folder which you're building the client.*
    7. Everything should work on Pro now. I'm not sure how I managed to get it working on Express, but if I manage to find out again I will edit this post and put it here. You should be able to hit F6 and have it compile; the finished product will be in [PD Source]\TSOClient\tso.client\bin\WindowsGL\Debug - just copy everything over to your The Sims Online\TSOClient directory and launch tso.client.exe! Or, press F5 to debug.
    * Windows 7 or 8/8.1 users need
    Windows Phone SDK 7.1 and 7.1.1
    * Windows 10 users need
    Games for Windows LIVE Redist
    XNA Game Studio 4.0
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Tori Sim likes this.
  2. francot514

francot514 Well-Known Member

Youre not compiling libraries?? also you cant run directly from visual studio in debug mode???
  3. LetsRaceBwoi

Libraries are compiled with the client IIRC. You can but only if you have your TSO install inside your build/debug destination.
  4. pisarz1958

pisarz1958 Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Dedicated GitHub app is fun if you're on Windows or Mac. Sure, it ain't for tru developarz, but since this tutorial itself is for people not familiar with Git and stuff, I suggest using it. It also comes with a good port of Git to Windows so you can always use shell for more advanced Git magic or just feeling like a haxz0r.
  5. LetsRaceBwoi

Tee hee, I use Git for Windows anyway.
  6. francot514

I can debug, without having install on debug folder, just referenced tso install data into tso client, to allow easy debuggin stuff, like for example blueprint...
  7. LetsRaceBwoi

Oh yeah. :p Great work on Blueprint by the way.
  8. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

This is simply not true. The client checks the registry on startup and will refuse to run if it can't find the path to the TSOClient folder.
  9. LetsRaceBwoi

Doesn't for me; simply doesn't load resources.
  10. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

It... doesn't? Did you install it using the installer, or are you simply running against a copy of EA Land or something?
    Either way, it should warn you if it couldn't find the registry, at least if you're on 32-bit or 64-bit Windows. Did you change Program.cs at all?
    If so, which changes did you make? What happens when you start the game without resources in the bin folder?
    The registry code in Program.cs isn't *that* complicated, so you should be able to debug it yourself. Please add a pull request if you find a problem.
  11. LetsRaceBwoi

Okay; so I found out it's because I don't even have TSO in my registry. But it never asked me. It should really look in the default locations too, but it was my fault. But when I start the game without resources in the bin folder, it throws an exception stating bass.net's dll wasn't found, when I move it there I just get gray screens because resources aren't loaded. (Fonts are still there though.)
  12. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

bass.net.dll should be with the client executable either way.
    Honestly not sure why it doesn't throw a warning and stops running. It should. Check Program. cs.
  13. LetsRaceBwoi

Now I'm getting errors; but FileNotFound exceptions with "vitaboy.xnb".
  14. francot514

Maybe this is why is better use monogame with Pro version and not express, maybe some compilation errors about the content??
  15. LetsRaceBwoi

It works fine when it's in the same directory as TSO.
  16. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

Your content is not compiling. Vitaboy.xnb is the container for the vitaboy vertex/pixel shaders. It's fine in the main TSO directory because you have the ones we compiled extracted to there.
  17. LetsRaceBwoi

I don't understand why I can't just compile in VS2013; it doesn't modify the solution files in any way at all, nor the project files or anything else. It keeps them so that they run on both VS2010 and VS2013/2015. :I
  18. LetsRaceBwoi

Arrgh, nevermind. I'll publish my changes later (after testing with VS2010 Pro).
  19. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

I remembered why it isn't working: you need to run Mr. Shipper from the tools directory or install Project Dollhouse (which will put the required XML files into the TSOClient\Packingslips directory).
    But yeah, if you've just been assuming that it would compile fine on VS2k13, no wonder the content wouldn't compile. Monogame is still in development, as is Project Dollhouse. Don't assume you know more than us. When we tell you that you need VS2k10 (Pro?), it's because you do.
  20. LetsRaceBwoi

I did that though.
    Eh? It does compile on 2013. That's how I made most of the changes before I went and screwed my source up by forking on 2 accounts and I had to start from scratch. I just can't figure out what changes I made (if any!).
    I can challenge things if I wish, albeit at my own discretion :p.