[EXPERIMENTAL] MOOD Engine (image heavy!)

Discussion in 'Programming' started by LetsRaceBwoi, Jan 31, 2016.

1. LetsRaceBwoi

LetsRaceBwoi Well-Known Member

I don't know - MOOD.FIX.png
    If you've been following my progress over at my blog (which, let's admit, you haven't) then you'll know that I've been spending a lot of time on a Doom engine clone called - wait for it - MOOD.
    "gee letsrace i wonder where you got the name from"
    Nothing really does much, and everything's experimental, hence why I've tagged the post with [EXPERIMENTAL].

Releases:
    Each release includes client and server
    GitHub Wiki coming soon.
    LRB
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

I can also see how you made this logo, and also that you forgot that the top pattern on the logo needs to zigzag... I'm interested to see how this turns out.
    Tirea likes this.
  3. LetsRaceBwoi

I didn't see that the Doom logo zigzagged, whoops. Nice edit by the way.
    Networking is nearly there (player positions are saved & sent to the client but the client doesn't render the positions yet, and the server sends level data) and I'm hoping to get a LAN party with some friends at some point (probably next weekend) to have a quick playtest, maybe I will get this community involved in the test too - I'm not promising anything! I'm also working on bot AI because there will be people who want to practice with bots, and I'm working on a better map (since the current one is, uh, a test) which is currently in the planning stage. Maybe in the near future I might work on a level editor too, I have some crazy ideas for this.
  4. LetsRaceBwoi

Started work on a level editor:
    upload_2016-2-1_21-14-48.png
    Player positions are now fetched but not rendered. Not because I don't know how - I just don't know how I will render them (billboard seems pretty simple, less work to do, but I'd prefer 3D models):
    upload_2016-2-1_21-17-57.png
    I'm starting work on usernames too which shouldn't take long.
  5. AquilaSim

AquilaSim Administrator Staff Member Moderator

And do you think your Doom version could be also compatible with ZDaemon ?
  6. LetsRaceBwoi

I honestly don't know at the moment, since I can't find the source code (probably looking in the wrong places) and it would take a lot of time, especially with just a protocol.
  7. LetsRaceBwoi

upload_2016-2-3_20-53-7.png
    work in progress
  8. LetsRaceBwoi

Tried my best at fixing the logo up:
    I don't know - MOOD.FIX.png
  9. LetsRaceBwoi

Usernames are now fully working, and chat is (almost!) there. I just need to port over the code from an old game I made to allow for key input, and then I'm done with the chat :)
    Launcher:
    upload_2016-2-6_10-1-1.png
    upload_2016-2-6_10-1-40.png
    Work on HUD will come next, so that it actually displays the right information. The level editor has been put on hiatus since I'm not really having trouble making levels using the .lvl format and there are still things to be added such as entities, text, etc.
  10. LetsRaceBwoi

upload_2016-2-6_10-18-10.png
    Not sure whether to keep the logo like this, even though there's no zigzag at the bottom (if there was then the "D" at the end wouldn't look like a "D"...)
  11. LetsRaceBwoi

Server-side collisions were easier than expected, playtest might actually be sooner than I thought.
  12. Marvin732

Marvin732 Active Member

You know taking files from other games for an own game is illegal due to copyright?
  13. LetsRaceBwoi

I'm in the process of switching over to using a custom-coded WAD reader... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_WAD
  14. AquilaSim

AquilaSim Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Well, Doom is an open source game then that not actually illegal.
  15. LetsRaceBwoi

The resources used in doom are both abandonware and shareware anyway, it's not like id Software are really gonna sue me over this
    pisarz1958 likes this.
  16. LetsRaceBwoi

First playtest might be this weekend depending on whether I perfect billboard/sprite scaling over distances & whether I manage to get raycasting working.
  17. LetsRaceBwoi

Chat now sort-of works, but needs refining (movement is still registered while in chat, chat doesn't automatically disappear, and it's quite messy).
  18. LetsRaceBwoi

xezno strikes again - I forgot to back up the code when I reset my PC the other day.
    Whoops, looks like this project is going nowhere... :(
  19. Marvin732

Marvin732 Active Member

Why do you need to reset your PC?
    I never do that even with Windows 8
  20. LetsRaceBwoi

because like, 75% of my memory was consumed and nearly 50% of my CPU was being used when I started my PC up alone, and I had virtually no disk space left.