FreeSO on Mac

Discussion in 'Support' started by RHY3756547, Nov 30, 2017.

1. zoey

zoey New Member

Just did this for a friend of mine and myself, works great. She has a MacBook Pro (dunno which one), I have a Hackintosh Desktop with a GTX 770. I'd be willing to make a youtube video of how to do this. it's not very hard. my friend could have done it herself had she known she had to right click -> save the GetTSO.sh file instead of clicking on it to download it, and which file to download off your TeamCity server (we both downloaded the logs by accident the first time)

Bug report: Loaded up freeso.command the first time, played for a few, remembered freeso3d.command. got out of freeso, ran freeso3d, terminal popped up then my desktop froze for a second, I saw the last two lines of text I see before I see the login window (I have my hackintosh set to boot verbose), then was back at the login screen logged out. ran freeso3d again and it's running no problem. Fireplaces are flickering but I don't know if that's a freeso bug or a "my graphics drivers are screwed because I can't read and installed a beta version of High Sierra and there's no Nvidia driver for beta versions of MacOS" bug that I have with most games when using the Default display driver.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. zoey

zoey New Member

I wrote an application to easily launch FreeSO from your dock or Applications folder with a double click, waiting on a reply from Rhys to know if I can upload it here because it requires minor changes to the instructions.

edit: testing a fix for needing to relaunch freeso.command if there's an update that needs to be applied.

edit 2: Got discord integration working with FreeSO on MacOS. All that I had to do was download discord-rpc-osx.zip from Discord's GitHub page Unzip it, and copy discord-rpc/osx-dynamic/lib/libdiscord-rpc.dylib to the FreeSO folder.
    So now when I'm playing FreeSO my Discord shows:
    [​IMG]

The Icon changes based on lot type (Going to a money lot replaced the hammer with a Simolean), and shows

[​IMG]

when not in a lot.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    mrpenguinb likes this.
  3. zoey

zoey New Member

I hope I'm not crossing any lines with my modified tutorial / changed macextras.zip file, if I am, feel free to delete:

is my quick and dirty youtube tutorial. I've never done a video tutorial (or video editing) before, so it's pretty crappy.

I took @RHY3756547's tutorial and made a few changes.

Download everything in the original post, except download my modified version of macextras.zip from here
    Take the FreeSO client folder (currently client-588), and rename it to FreeSO, then place the folder in your documents folder. Make sure to copy my macextras.zip contents too.
    Inside the FreeSO folder, you will find FreeSO and FreeSO 3D with the FreeSO icon. Place one of them either in your dock or in your Applications folder to easily launch FreeSO every time without having to navigate through the files each time.
    Continue RHY's tutorial to download TSO.

What's different from the original macextras?:
    • Added two applications (FreeSO and FreeSO 3D) that can be placed in your dock, or copied to your Applications folder to make it easier to start FreeSO. NOTE: These applications assume you follow my tutorial as I place the FreeSO Files in a specific (known) location.
    • Modified the freeso.command files to remove the need to re-run freeso.command to apply an update. The game will run, prompt and download the update, exit, apply the update, then relaunch FreeSO. NOTE: After applying a patch, mono may (probably) both crash, and launch FreeSO. Click OK on the crash window. I'm trying to fix this.
    • Added the correct Discord-RPC for MacOS so if you use the Desktop Discord app your discord status will show what lot you're in and that you're playing FreeSO
    RHY3756547 and mrpenguinb like this.
  4. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

Looks good, but your video tutorial is freaking out here. I will update the macextras on the FreeSO wordpress server with yours. Your macextras zip only seems to contain FreeSO 3D.app for some reason, not FreeSO.app

I think the best way forward would be to develop a full launcher app for MacOS that installs SDL and everything - maybe @Sim can look into this or open source what he has since it mostly runs on javascript (Electron?). Again, I don't develop the launcher, so I don't know how much of it can reasonably be run on linux and mac.
  5. zoey

zoey New Member

I can tackle that with python. Give me a day or two and I should have at least a script, if not a launcher (think how getTSO is setup with options) to show to setup everything.
  6. Jonathan Myers

Jonathan Myers New Member

Any update on the video tutorial or launcher? Still can't get it to work.
  7. dotequals

dotequals New Member

UPDATE: If you have been using FreeSO on Mac prior to Update 70 (June 9th, 2018), you must redownload macextras.zip
  8. JimDog

JimDog New Member

Is the appropriate macextras.zip still at http://freeso.org/stuff/macextras.zip? Things were working for me prior to this update, but after letting the client download and apply the FreeSO 70f update and extracting macextras.zip into the FreeSO folder I'm now getting errors from Mono at launch. I'm running Mono 5.12.0.226. Attached are the error messages.

Update: I rolled back my FreeSO folder using Time Machine (that brought me back to version 69b) and tried things again. If I just apply the 70f update and not do anything with macextras.zip everything appears to work properly. The only issue I'm noticing is the two error messages in the code block below in Terminal at launch but they don't appear to be affecting anything. If I try to extract macextras.zip into my FreeSO folder it breaks everything and I get the error messages in the attachment when I try to launch the game using freeso.command.
    Code:
    AL lib: (WW) GetProcPath: Failed to readlink /proc/self/file: No such file or directory
    AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "jack"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018