Latin-2 characters for the font

Discussion in 'Support' started by BSzili, Jul 16, 2018.

1. BSzili

BSzili New Member

I noticed that FreeSO fonts only include Latin-1 characters, so they don't cover Eastern European languages completely. This is not an issue for the main chat because English is the common language, but in private chats with friends I use my native tongue, and it be difficult to read with certain characters (e.g. ű and ő) not showing up correctly. Would it be possible to add these characters to the font, or add a translation table (ő ->õ, ű -> û, etc.) to mitigate this? Thanks in advance!
  2. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

The next update should add these characters to the sprite font (maybe some cyrillic alphabets, but chinese and japanese characters will likely need to be relegated to an extension spritefont or for our new renderer). In future we will be using a font renderer which dynamically renders characters from the ttf and OS fonts, but that task is so monumental that it's probably just best to take the hit in spritefont RAM usage for now.
    mrpenguinb likes this.
  3. BSzili

BSzili New Member

It's great to hear that! Sprite fonts can get you a long way, but for Asian languages you will probably be better off with FreeType. We have a mobile game that does Chinese support using bitmap fonts, but it has no text chat so we only need a moderate subset of characters for the localized UI text. Latin and Cyrillic alphabets shouldn't have a big impact though and RAM/VRAM is plentiful these days :)