Official Discord server

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by zc456, Jan 19, 2016.

1. zc456

zc456 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I really don't think Skype is great for group chats anymore, especially in gaming communities. So, I decided to create a Discord server under the New Sims Online name. Discord offer permissions, embedded video, pics, and links, ect... As well text and voice channels to narrow down any topics. The nice feature is it's also available on mobile for free with the exact same UI.

2. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

Wow, discord's really taking off. I hope they're not doing anything shady to keep it alive until they get out paid themes...

On that note, since the desktop app is literally just a chromium window, it's possible to inject css hacks to make the layout more conservative. Here's a simple css replacement hack I wrote a few weeks ago to make things more bearable:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/131166361761087488/139161549255344128/discordmod3.zip

Extract to %appdata%/../Local/Discord/app-0.0.283

Makes the channel bar hide below a specific width, and makes messages shorter in general. Also replaces https://discordapp.com/assets/9a2aa596faed1aa0ce218d1c4b9af279.svg
    with its true form: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12239448/8Ol.svg
    DarkRaven574, Tori Sim and zc456 like this.
  3. zc456

zc456 Well-Known Member

I'll have to try that theme!
    Let's hope they aren't.
    Gitbook, Atom, Visual Studio Code, Discord, ect... I'm finally starting to see why you find web technologies so appealing. Then again I was kinda drawn to it back when Chrome OS was announced but it was way ahead of it's time to be of any use back then.
  4. LetsRaceBwoi

LetsRaceBwoi Well-Known Member

Teamspeak feels better for me and my friends (big servers, easier management), but Discord is much better for chats (TS really falls apart there). Loving the UI too, the dark colours sooth my eyes and reduce power consumption.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  5. AquilaSim

AquilaSim Administrator Staff Member Moderator

The link of invitation is re-enabled.
    DarkRaven574 and zc456 like this.
  6. zc456

zc456 Well-Known Member

If you want to Discord to detect FreeSO, open the Options menu and click on the Games tab.
    DarkRaven574 likes this.
  7. zc456

zc456 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the briefly taking the public link down. Things were getting a little out of hand.
  8. AquilaSim

AquilaSim Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Small announcement, this is now the official Discord server of project.
    DarkRaven574 and Tori Sim like this.
  9. its_notjack

its_notjack New Member

Seems a little strange that as soon as Zack leaves it becomes official...
  10. RHY3756547

Because the ownership was transferred to me, the project leader... This isn't strange at all.
    AquilaSim likes this.
  11. its_notjack

its_notjack New Member

Fair enough, but Zack was staff, and you had full permissions, so nothing has really changed.
    Either way, I don't want to start a debate now, so I'll end it here.
  12. RHY3756547

Zack was the owner, but he was not on the FreeSO moderation team. Therefore it was not official. There's no "debate" in the first place.
  13. Spiders

Spiders New Member

discord seems so complicated
  14. LetsRaceBwoi

I prefer physical face-to-face contact

(Skype)
  15. RHY3756547

You're only saying that cos you got banned! When there was a voice chat you joined it with mic muted too. :rolleyes:
  16. LetsRaceBwoi

Actually you just left at the wrong time. My voice is a beautiful, handsome, deep, soothing British voice, and I proceeded to stun the whole chat with my amazing sounds*

*may or may not be true
  17. Alessandro Needs A Server

Alessandro Needs A Server Well-Known Member

I LOVE YOU OMG:D:cool:
    RHY3756547 likes this.
  18. theAidster21

theAidster21 New Member

The discord invite is expired and I want to join!
  19. zc456

zc456 Well-Known Member

Maybe a warning label that your Discord links may expire woulda been nice. Just a suggestion for next time.
  20. Marvin732

Marvin732 Active Member

There is a reason why