[OUTDATED] Creating your own server!

Discussion in 'Play-Tests' started by LetsRaceBwoi, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arumio

arumio New Member

Are you able to join other servers?
  2. Driesje44

Driesje44 Active Member

Yes! It's very weird since other people can join my server but I can't. If i do it the other way (without charvatia) it does work, but it isn't handy for a 24/7 server
  3. DeGugs

DeGugs New Member

As my computer was downloading PortMapper, it paused the download warning me that the software could "harm my computer." Why does it say that? Should I be worried?
  4. JWofles

JWofles Active Member

It shouldn't be malicious, unless you've downloaded the wrong thing on the page.
    Anyway, you don't need PortMapper to forward your ports, you can simply follow a guide on http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
    Go there and click what router company you use, close the ad, select what specific router you use and then select any game guide. It will then show you how to input the ports but instead of the ports it tells you to use on the website, do 37564 as TCP.

After all, setting up servers is more for experienced users.
  5. DeGugs

DeGugs New Member

I clicked "this" in that post that I replied to earlier which automatically started the supposedly malicious download, I thought that was what everyone was using. I also looked into your website which seems to have instructions on thousands of applications that I don't have. Do you recommend any specific application? If its not PortMapper, will steps 3-7 work the same?
  6. JWofles

JWofles Active Member

I'm going to try to make this simple so you don't need to download any applications (while others have downloaded them, you don't necessarily need them).
    If you could post your internet provider and also preferably your router model I'll give you some easy instructions.
    DeGugs likes this.
  7. DeGugs

DeGugs New Member

Thanks, my provider is Xfinity and I believe my router model is a "Dual-Band 802.11ac"
  8. JWofles

JWofles Active Member

So, presumably if you type '192.168.0.1' in your URL address bar, it pops up with a page like this?
    [​IMG]
    If so go to feature setup, then the port forward page.
    [​IMG]
    For application name, type freeso, for port range do 37564 to 37564, protocol TCP, leave the IP address part, check enable and then at the bottom click apply.
    If that works, you ports should be successfully forwarded.

If your local page looks different or doesn't even load, tell me and then I'll suggest something different.
  9. DeGugs

DeGugs New Member

According to my browser, "The 192.168.0.1 page isn't working" I'll try it again later and start a conversation with you if I still have trouble.

Do can you post a link I can follow instead?
  10. JWofles

JWofles Active Member

Try following this tutorial.
    Since I don't use comcast, I have no idea how it works. Your best bet (if you're not gonna use portmapper) is to find an online tutorial on how to port forward with xfinity or whatever and when entering the ports for the application etc, enter the FreeSO ports.
  11. travisrauh

travisrauh New Member

I've seen so many people who want their own server but can't host one for a plethora of reasons. I'm pleased to announced that managed servers are now offered to those who either do not want to or cannot host their own servers. While there is a cost to this, it is not-for-profit and strictly to cover the cost of your dedicated server. You may place your order if interested at order.freeso.net
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  12. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

Um. Why do people waste time and set up infrastructure for very temporary things...
  13. LetsRaceBwoi

LetsRaceBwoi Well-Known Member

It costs $30 a month to keep a Pi running? I thought Pis were only $30 anyway, but that's paid monthly...???
  14. RHY3756547

My $5 a month server runs freeso.ml's lot (100x100, >8000 objects) at ~20% cpu usage. That's one core, same digital ocean server running my wordpress.
    travisrauh and LetsRaceBwoi like this.
  15. travisrauh

travisrauh New Member

The amount is estimated right now based on my two that are running. I very strongly expect the price to drop but won't have the long-term costs available for another week (testing the pricing on my two servers now). If/when the prices do drop, anyone who has a subscription will be given the option of a pro-rated refund or additional time to reflect that price change.. and I also wouldn't say it's a waste of time.. as temporary as this set-up may be, people are enjoying playing FreeSO right now and some want servers - but they can't because they either don't have a Static IP, can't open certain ports, just don't want to run their personal computer 24/7, etc. It's merely an option for those who don't want to or can't go through the work of setting up and maintaining their own server. As you may have seen in the "important notice" section, I did make every effort to make sure everyone is aware of the project's ultimate intentions. :)
    LetsRaceBwoi likes this.
  16. LetsRaceBwoi

I'd rather pay a $30 one-time fee to cover the costs for a new Pi, and then less each month (i.e. $5-$10), but since this system is subject to change dramatically over the course of the next few months, I'm not sure about how well this is going to succeed.
    travisrauh likes this.
  17. travisrauh

travisrauh New Member

I've actually just taken Rhys' input about his pricing that he pays and made adjustments (now $15/mo or $40/3 mos). As previously stated, I'll continue to review to see how much it costs to run the servers and adjust accordingly and since my goal is to only charge at-cost, it will be brought down as absolutely low as possible. All servers will be kept up-to-date (even through major changes or software used) but at any point if private servers are not permitted anymore, they'll just simply be closed (with as much advanced notice as possible, of course) and anyone due a refund will receive one. This is honestly just my way of contributing to make it easier for people who want their own server but can't create and/or maintain one themselves - if people use it, great! If not, no biggie. All I can do is offer :)
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    LetsRaceBwoi likes this.
  18. LetsRaceBwoi

FreeSO is open source, which means that even if private servers were 'blocked' (i.e. official server is forced) you'd still be able to modify the source - and redistribute it freely - to be able to connect to custom servers.
    travisrauh likes this.
  19. travisrauh

travisrauh New Member

Well that's great to know! I've updated the site a little since first published including an FAQ question. Please take a look at it if you have a chance and provide me with any feedback or questions you have - I'd love to hear it whether good or bad.
    LetsRaceBwoi likes this.
  20. RHY3756547

Private servers will not be blocked, they will just be incredibly unnecessary.
    LetsRaceBwoi and travisrauh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.