Visual Basic Studio

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Driesje44, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Driesje44

Driesje44 Active Member

any people here who are using VB? I started yesterday, and of course it's quit hard (the only program language i knew before was scratch)

I'm not very good ar it yet (i can make some variables in console, and making a button to show text) but yeah, i'm only 14 right now :) (so i'm looking for a ditch book about it right now)

Are some people here who are working with VB? Let it know!
  2. Afr0

Afr0 Well-Known Member

I know Franco is/was.
    He'll probably come around to this topic ;)
    LetsRaceBwoi likes this.
  3. francot514

francot514 Well-Known Member

I have worked with VB, and know the basic stuff, but i cannot recommed you a book, all the experience i got is from practice...

Ok course you can ask me for help, if you need it...
  4. Driesje44

Driesje44 Active Member

I already borrowed one from someone :D
    Some things aren't that clear, but it's quit fun and pretty easy ;) But I'll put it here if i have a question, thanks!!
  5. Sarge

Sarge New Member

I did some work with VB on first year of college. Can't recommend book either because haven't used any.

What you want is to tackle basics of programming. Do some console applications first. Tutorials on internet can be good enough, but again, can't recommend any for VB. You've made a start with variables, build your knowledge from there, not buttons in forms.
  6. Driesje44

Driesje44 Active Member

Yeah, the planning is to build a simulation game, so i'm also trying to build a simple interface and moving things (i made a scripts that an image can make make a smooth move if you click on a button) the book is very handy :D
  7. LetsRaceBwoi

LetsRaceBwoi Well-Known Member

Please use XNA and not Windows Forms, otherwise...
    [​IMG]
    RHY3756547 and Blayer98 like this.
  8. Driesje44

Driesje44 Active Member

Oooooops :rolleyes: But yeah, it's really a small 2D project, does XNA uses the same code?
  9. Driesje44

Driesje44 Active Member

Okay, first question XD I'vre got 2 Picturesboxes, and i want them to lap over each other, but I always get the big image overlapping the small one, while i want the small image over the big one :mad:
    [​IMG]
    (yeaah, the graphics aren't gooood, i know XD)
  10. LetsRaceBwoi

Learn to use XNA.
    Do you want your project to look like XTSO?
    Do you want your project to have terrible graphics, collisions, etc?
    Do you want your project to have blank spaces when an object is moved?

No?
    Use XNA.
    Please... Windows Forms is for basic projects. XNA is for games. Plus, XNA is nowhere as near as complicated as Windows Forms can get sometimes...

11. Driesje44

Driesje44 Active Member

Okaaay, okaay, I'll start with it

But, can you tell me how to install it with Visual Studio 2013...?:rolleyes:

edit: Okay nevermind XD, I already figured out i think :)
  12. LetsRaceBwoi

If you get the hang of it, it should be easy for you. XNA is really powerful and this project uses it. Once you learn C#, you could start contributing to the project if you're confident.

I installed it to VS2013 a few days ago; a Google search will return some results. I highly recommend using VS2010 though, alongside VS2013, since 2k10 is more powerful and there are a lot more extensions for it.
  13. Driesje44

Driesje44 Active Member

I would love to help, but I'm afraid i'll break the code or so XD i'm currently looking for a cours, but i'll be awesome if i could make better gaes than with scrath :D

I'm going to start with 2013, if i need extensions i'll use 2010 ;)

So, actually if i can work with XNA, i could make a game like The Sims 1? :eek:
  14. RHY3756547

RHY3756547 FreeSO Developer Staff Member Moderator

XNA is a framework that allows both high level and lower level access to graphics hardware, audio and input, as well as a ton of utility classes for 3d/2d games (vector, color etc). It does not provide any special built in collision, but it does provide circle/rectangle/sphere/etc classes and intersection tests.

You could really make a game like The Sims 1 with anything, it's just easier with a game engine vs. getting started off of Windows Forms and having to hack around and use extra frameworks to get the things you want.
  15. LetsRaceBwoi

Most games made with Windows Forms will turn out to look pretty bad, no offence.
  16. Driesje44

Driesje44 Active Member

Yeah, that's another question, is there a way to open SVG files with a picturebox?
  17. RHY3756547

18. francot514

Yes, this is the reason why i have turned from windows forms to xna in past, but there is something i dont like, the content compressed in xnb format make game engine difficult to allow user manipulation, kind different like sdl..
    LetsRaceBwoi likes this.
  19. RHY3756547

I do like the idea of SDL, but I haven't attempted to use it yet. I think it may have been a better choice than XNA, but I can't go back 7 years and change that. :p
  20. francot514

What you mean Rhys?? Only say that if him is considering a project for a simulation game, Sdl is not so bad, (there are C# sdl) but also monogame should be fine, if there will be no content manipulation externally..