FreeSO Android App

Alessandro Needs A Server

FreeSO Android App: is it actually possible? i don't know, but making a possible UI is my favourite part.

Example only, there is still no actual app;

Main Page
Login and Sign Up page

FNNFRJi.png

Server status page - no account required!
The account is not required to show server status, so if you wanna check server status and you are on the go and don't wanna to
login,
this app is the perfect tool!

ChileC2.png

My property page
Show property status and useful infos

ilRyKpT.png

Remote options are useful if a friend wants to visit your lot and you are not at your computer!
Set property online to let people visit your house or just open it for business, so people can use the objects that let you gain money. Allow visit request to let your friends send you a notification that he or she wants to visit your lot.

Visit Friend Property page (not 100% necessary)
Sends a sim of your choice to a friend lot in AFK status
(Afk animation) for 2 Hours to show your friend you are coming.
at the end of the two hours the sim will be kicked out of the lot.
If the lot of your friend is
offline you can send a request visit notification(both website and app)

ea8rzZf.png
G3QRkQP.png

Lot Manager > Bulldoze sim's lot
Part of the lot manager options, bulldoze a property remotely
and restore the empty lot.

O6RivXa.png

Game News
Show freeso.org posts in-app

pchpVoB.png

My Sims
Manage your 3 sims in-app

Xh3q7Nr.png

Lost connection warningLoosing internet connection is daily life, am i right?
Oh wait is it only me? Sigh

ofFeAlq.png

Searched user UI
This is how the user UI shows up after searching him/her

M1l3fgu.png

My account tab
This is my account page, with account options

and some of the previous pages (my sims, my lots, my friends, lot manager...)

T4Xbsrn.png

How the icon looks like on a Galaxy S7/S7 EdgeI mean, best phone on the market :cool:
ef38MTk.png

Some pages might not be possible, but i had fun designing it :p
Hope you guys like it :D

Last edited:
It's possible with a web api, but this will likely exist as a responsive web interface that works on both desktop and mobile. Not sure about the idea of placing your sim afk on people's lots randomly, doesn't make much sense.

It's possible with a web api, but this will likely exist as a responsive web interface that works on both desktop and mobile. Not sure about the idea of placing your sim afk on people's lots randomly, doesn't make much sense.
Best idea is to treat that Sim as if were in map view but not in a lot. Since a PM and messages works regardless of where you are in the game.

I'll get to working on this later (see below). A few things to consider:
  • As far as I know, you can't do gradients like that in the action bar - Android just doesn't support it. I could probably do it with custom themes, but no promises there.
  • FreeSO would need something like a REST API and working servers for this to actually function, so at the moment it can't really be worked on (although, dummy information could be displayed instead).
  • Bulldozing houses from the app opens up possible security concerns; if someone gets my phone, they could easily bulldoze my §1m lot that I have spent valuable time on, leaving me completely stranded. Maybe ask the user to input their password first?
  • Rendering Sims in-app will also both be taxing for the device (battery!!! ram usage!!! gpu!!! see: pokemon go) and would require changes to Vitaboy, special rendering, etc etc. and would both be very time-consuming and almost useless. I can't think of any other way of displaying Sims, though; maybe if the server kept an up-to-date low-res render of the Sim?
  • Tweets from the FreeSO Twitter account should also be in there somewhere, I guess. It'd be nice to see those in a similar feed to that of the "game news".
  • How would you calculate the estimated loading time? You're not at the PC, so you won't know the specifications, the network speed... you could theoretically base it on average speeds / specs, but then what's the point of it being there? If you're away from the PC why would you care about how long your lot takes to load? o_O
  • AFK status? Isn't that just a bit... I don't know, silly? Who wants AFK people on their lot? TSO is all about inter-user interactions; it's essentially a game to make friends. It's not like cookie clicker where you AFK and progress, it's a game where you need to make friends to progress.

I'll get to working on this later (see below). A few things to consider:
  • As far as I know, you can't do gradients like that in the action bar - Android just doesn't support it. I could probably do it with custom themes, but no promises there
Sure u can, the bar can be made trasnparent and apply an image instead of a still color in the app bar.

That's an extremely hacky way of getting a gradient to work :I
More like the only way, and the way everyone does it.

• FreeSO would need something like a REST API and working servers for this to actually function, so at the moment it can't really be worked on (although, dummy information could be displayed instead).
The city server will support access via HTTP via AJAX requests, which will drive the online account management and live HTML5 city view.

• Rendering Sims in-app will also both be taxing for the device (battery!!! ram usage!!! gpu!!! see: pokemon go) and would require changes to Vitaboy, special rendering, etc etc. and would both be very time-consuming and almost useless. I can't think of any other way of displaying Sims, though; maybe if the server kept an up-to-date low-res render of the Sim?

Rendering a 1000 poly model is not intensive. I would argue that the UI around the sim would burn more battery than the sim themselves. Pokemon Go's maps are very detailed, use a ton of geometry and the pokemon details screen makes use of multisampling on hi-poly models that the 3ds has trouble rendering too.

The real issue here is that you would need to download the avatar content for TSO to begin rendering sims, at which point you might be better downloading the entire game and running that anyways.

now i'm not exactly the least retarded person on these forums so forgive me if this post is retarded but
now i know you're an ios user and you probably do have gradients but i can't recall any apps that have ever used a gradient? like, i mean, its not like google's material design spec mentions plain colours
you might be thinking "but what? ive seen loads of screenshots with a black to transparent gradient"
thats something different - that's the status/notification bar at the top, and that only happens on certain applications. it even got switched to a plain colour in lollipop so nope
The city server will support access via HTTP via AJAX requests, which will drive the online account management and live HTML5 city view.
like do you even know what ajax means seriously
that's not the word you're looking for
ton of geometry
oh man like i mean star citizen is clearly nothing compared to pokemon go like dont forget all the detail in charmander's face its totally not a smoothed relatively simple model with a texture thrown over it nu-uh
  • the single plane that basically acts as the bottom layer
  • each road clearly has more polygons than aiden pearce's goddamn face
  • cubes i mean buildings
  • ofc the pokestop model is clearly so high-poly, just look at it
don't forget that the 3ds is essentially a supercomputer, you know like the ps2? actually scratch that the emotion engine was great for its time
here are the 3ds' specs
  • 128MB FCRAM
  • 6MB VRAM (which probably explains why the 3ds struggles)
  • PICA200 processing unit (max. clock 400MHz, pretty basic, OpenGLES 1.1)
  • a single ARM11 processor core that can actually be used to play games (other core is for background/os, other processor is for DS backwards compatibility)
here are the specs for a moto g3, essentially the same price as the 3ds from what i've seen (and they both have a 3 that makes this fair right? since its numbers n shit)
this is for the 16gb model which apparently has 2x the ram or something compared to the 8gb version? like why would you do that
  • 2GB RAM
  • afaik RAM is used by the GPU as well. so that basically allows for up to 2GB of VRAM *technically* but that would never happen so lets say 1GB
  • Adreno 306 clocking in just higher at 450MHz and has support for OPENGLES 3.0!!!
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon (sexy name!) 400, which is a 1.4GHz quad-core processor (use what you want of it?)
now i don't know much about hardware but
the specs for the g3 seem a lot more... appealing?

why do so many games drain your battery? the gpu! since it's running at a much higher clock when running graphically intensive apps (games etc) it drains more battery than the ui, which requires next to no power (remember, android is highly optimised for everything ui-wise, google really went all-out with it)
The real issue here is that you would need to download the avatar content for TSO to begin rendering sims, at which point you might be better downloading the entire game and running that anyways.
lol no, just need the textures and basic sim meshes... that should take up only 50mb if it's only a couple of "1000 poly" meshes

Last edited:
now i'm not exactly the least retarded person on these forums so forgive me if this post is retarded but

now i know you're an ios user and you probably do have gradients but i can't recall any apps that have ever used a gradient? like, i mean, its not like google's material design spec mentions plain colours
you might be thinking "but what? ive seen loads of screenshots with a black to transparent gradient"
thats something different - that's the status/notification bar at the top, and that only happens on certain applications. it even got switched to a plain colour in lollipop so nope

like do you even know what ajax means seriously
that's not the word you're looking for

oh man like i mean star citizen is clearly nothing compared to pokemon go like dont forget all the detail in charmander's face its totally not a smoothed relatively simple model with a texture thrown over it nu-uh
  • the single plane that basically acts as the bottom layer
  • each road clearly has more polygons than aiden pearce's goddamn face
  • cubes i mean buildings
  • ofc the pokestop model is clearly so high-poly, just look at it
don't forget that the 3ds is essentially a supercomputer, you know like the ps2? actually scratch that the emotion engine was great for its time
here are the 3ds' specs
  • 128MB FCRAM
  • 6MB VRAM (which probably explains why the 3ds struggles)
  • PICA200 processing unit (max. clock 400MHz, pretty basic, OpenGLES 1.1)
  • a single ARM11 processor core that can actually be used to play games (other core is for background/os, other processor is for DS backwards compatibility)
here are the specs for a moto g3, essentially the same price as the 3ds from what i've seen (and they both have a 3 that makes this fair right? since its numbers n shit)
this is for the 16gb model which apparently has 2x the ram or something compared to the 8gb version? like why would you do that
  • 2GB RAM
  • afaik RAM is used by the GPU as well. so that basically allows for up to 2GB of VRAM *technically* but that would never happen so lets say 1GB
  • Adreno 306 clocking in just higher at 450MHz and has support for OPENGLES 3.0!!!
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon (sexy name!) 400, which is a 1.4GHz quad-core processor (use what you want of it?)
now i don't know much about hardware but
the specs for the g3 seem a lot more... appealing?

why do so many games drain your battery? the gpu! since it's running at a much higher clock when running graphically intensive apps (games etc) it drains more battery than the ui, which requires next to no power (remember, android is highly optimised for everything ui-wise, google really went all-out with it)

lol no, just need the textures and basic sim meshes... that should take up only 50mb if it's only a couple of "1000 poly" meshes
Wow. There's not even a level of stupid for what this post is.

AJAX is another term for javascript invoked HTTP requests, using XMLHttpRequest. I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I don't see how what I said is wrong in the slightest. Maybe if the most advanced thing you've ever done is write a "search engine" using barely optimised shite that only works because there are only a grand total of 2 sites on ZeroNet, saying such a thing might be expected.

Your phone is drawing its UI with the GPU it has. Otherwise it would run like absolute shit. There are multiple power levels for phone/laptops GPUs, and one TS1 model is not enough to clip one of those thresholds. Given phone fillrates, it would definitely take longer to render a frame of the UI than it would a small sim to draw on top of it, vertex shader included.

Game resources for the sims come as part of either a full breadth of cabs or a zip. Without a complex "download from your pc" setup, people will still have to download the whole game to get the parts they want. For an account management app. Nice.

I'm not even going to respond to the part about the 3ds because it looks like you already wasted enough time writing it.

Last edited:
Wow. There's not even a level of stupid for what this post is.
Probably less stupid than the one you just made?
AJAX is another term for javascript invoked HTTP requests, using XMLHttpRequest.
Because Android apps use javascript now, 10/10 totally not C# or Java
I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I don't see how what I said is wrong in the slightest. Maybe if the most advanced thing you've ever done is write a "search engine" using barely optimised shite that only works because there are only a grand total of 2 sites on ZeroNet, saying such a thing might be expected.
There are over 1150 sites being indexed both on Bwoi and Kaffiene at the time of writing this, and I actually bothered to optimise it unlike half the shit on the internet these days.
Your phone is drawing its UI with the GPU it has. Otherwise it would run like absolute shit. There are multiple power levels for phone/laptops GPUs, and one TS1 model is not enough to clip one of those thresholds. Given phone fillrates, it would definitely take longer to render a frame of the UI than it would a small sim to draw on top of it, vertex shader included.
It's almost as if you're acting like I've never seen what a GPU does. Phones deliberately underclock the GPU (i.e. run at 200MHz instead of 450) to save battery, and this works when drawing UI -- it will never usually go above 50-65% unless it is rendering in 3D.
Game resources for the sims come as part of either a full breadth of cabs or a zip. Without a complex "download from your pc" setup, people will still have to download the whole game to get the parts they want. For an account management app. Nice.
Yeah, but I doubt the couple of models, textures and skeletons needed are going to take up more than 50MB, which - considering storage sizes in phones nowadays - is admittedly not much.
I'm not even going to respond to the part about the 3ds because it looks like you already wasted enough time writing it.
More like, because you know you actually wasted money on one instead of buying something much, much better?

The plan is a web api, accessible from the website, so AJAX is completely relevant.

I know phones underclock themselves. That is exactly what I was talking about, when I was saying that drawing a sim wouldn't increase power draw in the slightest.

No matter what "optimisations" you put in, you still don't know anything about real information retrieval. It's an incredibly indepth subject that cant be easily understood by some random 15 yr old.

Attacking people about things you don't even know anything about is unacceptably annoying and so characteristically you. I hope you learn to regret your actions in a few years... Until then, ur banned son.

Anyways, back on topic. We likely will not have an app for this purpose, but a responsive website which is accessible from desktop and more obscure devices too.

Episode 10: LRB Goes on a lovely rant
This seems interesting but I Don't think that this is required anymore.

Back