FreeSO on iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHY3756547

FreeSO Developer
Staff member
Hello everyone, I've been fighting recently with Xamarin.iOS, Mono AOT and OpenGL ES to get FreeSO working on phones, as a point of interest. It has been a great success!
IMG_3521.PNG

This has been modded into the old-net version of the game without the global server, but will be ported shortly. The global server will launch with an iOS port alongside it, as well as improved support for Linux and MacOS.

Apart from some random bugs occurring because I'm stupid, it's pretty usable. The UI now scales up on smaller screens on demand.

VIDEO:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6a8oLQAWXajY0ZOMkdwMG5wbTg/view

FAQ:
Where can I get a build?
I will probably release an IPA soon, when there is some way to load the files onto your phone without SSH. I'll post instructions with that. As for when the global server rolls out, I'll find some way to shoehorn the build bot into doing my bidding.

What specs does my phone need?
Right now it is not cheap. 2GB RAM boots into freeso.ml but encounters severe issues. That's iPhone 6S and above. I would recommend 2GB RAM for when we get to the global server too. Some work will need to be done to improve this figure. Hi-Res uncompressed sprites aren't cheap!

Will this work with non-jailbroken devices?
Right now, the game is reading the TSO files from var/private/mobile/Documents/. It is normally impossible to place content in this location. However, in future I can make it so that the app downloads the content into it's friendly, sandboxed folder, using some of JDRocks' installer code or my own if it comes to it.

To install the game without the app store, you will need to use a tool called Cydia Impactor. I think it means you can only keep the app on your phone for a week at a time, but I'll look into it later.

Will this work on Android?
If I knew how android worked, and had a real device to test, I might care. Do I need to use Xamarin to build android apps? Does that mean I need to off myself run the simulator in my mac VM?

Audio is actually fine on the device by the way, it's the recording software that's botching things.

Yes, that is entirely possible as it has enough RAM. I don't think the iPad Pro is "on the go" though.

I'll just buy a iPad Pro and engrave: "I Need The SIMS Online"
then buying a stand for it

You don't know any of those things for sure. Apart from owning a phone, I guess you have that one down.

Predictable.
  • Install Xamarin tools from Visual Studio installer
  • Make a project to compile FreeSO for Android
  • Use your magic to make FreeSO work with Android
  • Debug the fuck out of it
Vulkan Graphics API is coming to Android 6.x and above. Doze mode in Android 5.0, extended in 6.0, may be useful is the game is accidentally left on.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg for you. So what do you care? To you, I'm just an annoying fly.

Predictable.
  • Install Xamarin tools from Visual Studio installer
  • Make a project to compile FreeSO for Android
  • Use your magic to make FreeSO work with Android
  • Debug the fuck out of it
Vulkan Graphics API is coming to Android 6.x and above. Doze mode in Android 5.0, extended in 6.0, may be useful is the game is accidentally left on.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg for you. So what do you care? To you, I'm just an annoying fly.
Monogame does not use Vulkan. Android simulator does not tell me anything about performance or graphics support on real devices. I'm not using Doze mode / Background App Refresh (iOS) right now and likely won't until I'm developing the version for global server (will probably notify you of chat/pm while you're out of app for an presumably brief period of time: up to the afk timer).
Looks great so far! quite a bummer I have a iPhone 6 so my iDevice won't be capable of running this I guess
It will likely run on not-freeso.ml for now, thanks to my recent memory usage changes. I can see it running when I implement some kind of compressed texture support.

Could you please try and she an APK I really wanna play freeso anytime
An APK will be available whenever an android version is. An IPA will be available right after I make a way to download the game from PC.

Since we already bring up random mobile platforms - ever tried building for Windows UWP just for fun?

First thing, I have always wanted to play TSO but couldn't because of the monthly cost, this is amazing! I can't wait!
Second thing, I have always wanted a way to play TS 1 on a mobile device. This isn't exactly TS 1 but its damn close! Y'all are doing great things FreeSO!Please keep this up!:)

This has also been a dream of mine. ;) Issues right now are getting it in a place where people can install it without jailbreaking or a mac. We're halfway there, I guess.

Im Jailbroken, have a mac, and I bet others would be willing to jailbreak for this. If y'all have ever considered releasing this in a Jailbreak only form, I say go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back