New Lot Style

Road Type?

• Type 1

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Type 2

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Other (suggest below)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Type 1 (with yet to be suggested change to make dead ends and crosswalks look nicer)

Votes: 8 13.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My custom road V. 2.0
L6FXaii.png

it would be so cool if there was an area where we all built tall buildings and made a city area.
also, rhys, with the thing generating lots in the background, will be able to visit them from clicking on them similar to sims 2?

it would be so cool if there was an area where we all built tall buildings and made a city area.
also, rhys, with the thing generating lots in the background, will be able to visit them from clicking on them similar to sims 2?
That's likely possible, but you could do that from the city anyways. Clicking them will probably just make their lot page come up.

Perhaps a feature that if you click on an adjacent lot, a message box would appear saying would you like to move to <lot name here>. A bit pointless as you could literally do this from city view but it's just a suggestion after all. Or maybe bring up the lot info panel for the adjacent lot you had clicked?

Perhaps a feature that if you click on an adjacent lot, a message box would appear saying would you like to move to <lot name here>. A bit pointless as you could literally do this from city view but it's just a suggestion after all. Or maybe bring up the lot info panel for the adjacent lot you had clicked?
I'm sure it could turn into an utter mess but being able to walk around the city like in TS3 with an ability to switch between lots dynamically would be surprisingly cool and probably tough to sync. I appreciate anything close to the open world though.

I'm sure it could turn into an utter mess but being able to walk around the city like in TS3 with an ability to switch between lots dynamically would be surprisingly cool and probably tough to sync. I appreciate anything close to the open world though.
The problem here is that it would vastly complicate lot server connections. You'd need to be able to be connected to multiple lot servers at a time, multiple lots on a single lot server, and you'd need some kind of spectator mode to join without being able to make any changes (server and client nightmare). It could also potentially increase bandwidth load by 81 times worst case. (all sims have connection to neighbouring lots, in a block of lots all online. probably got the math wrong)

To make this possible, we'd need to verify that there is not a bandwidth bottleneck, and optimize the game engine so that 9 simulators + world views can run at once (will likely need multicore to make this viable for 9x9 of far developed lots). So basically, far future.

I prefer style 2, Because it looks nicer IMO, and it is also how the roads look on TS 1 & 2. Also, the roads in my neighborhood, and many in the city I live in, have grass between them and the sidewalk. :p

Last edited:
If we get roads, can they be used? For example, if you get a job at a robo factory:
1) Will the factory be seen on the map?
2) Are we able to create our own “factories”?
3) Are we going to see how the car drives from my lot to the robot factory (even on maps view?)

I voted for Type 1.

I haven't really thought about jobs. The old game just "places them" on the "map" (they have a position on the map but they are not physically there), if we follow this pattern it'll probably just treat the 8 adjacent lots as empty for drawing purposes (so you don't get people buying the adjacent lots and building really stupid things).

Isn't it possible to make the 'neighbor' lots that you would see static? Like: you buy the lot and the game detects wich lots are you neighbors and makes a static 'picture'/'copy' of it that you can see on your own lot? (Or am i saying some stupid things here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back