Random garbage from Driesje44: DRIESTECH

Driesje44

So I thought it would be cool to have a little thread where i can post the random stuff i make in Visual Basic (i'm so hipster, i use VB instead of c#)
The first thing is a game i've been working on lately. Unfortunately i've got the bad habit to have these 'programming sprees' so i don't do anything with VS for like 3 months and then I start again with it. So my big Visual Basic adventure started a year ago but i've got the expertise of someone who started a month ago, ENJOY!
1fb21cbccc9aed1b61da9ad953c34101.png

#1 The Life
My very first little game. The idea of The Life started from when i was 10 years old. I started with a The Life version written in Visual Basic (The first one was in Scratch but i was too big for scratch so it was extremly slow) when i just started learning VB , wich means a lot of the code was pure garbage. Now everything is rewritten and you'll probably still find it garbage, but it works! ..sort off, also the game is in Dutch at this moment so i will give translations where necessary
STARRING!:

f10773d03173368ecfb1151dec73ff2e.png

The egg-like creature i made because it's super easy to animate! This is the character you play with. You can give it sort of a personality by choosing his or hers music taste, interests and more

76fb29d46f5a4b495501ebff644d7060.png

2298dae3f19e0b328614c1a69e3c3c27.png

And a world creation tool! (sort off)

THE GAME
The goal from the game is letting your character not-die or getting depressed. You achieve this by maintaining their needs (hmm, i've seen this somewhere before?) You do this by furnishing their house with objects like a kitchen, a Tv and stuff, and you pay those objects with money you get from a job (yes this is totally the same as in The Sims and i'm not ashamed of it). You live in a neighborhood that comes with the game (Timbuktu) or one you create with the World Creation Tool, a tool that gives you limited customization options like choosing a terrain, a description etc. Worlds are saved in the 'Worlds' map and are made of several text files.
e90438f2471030176b2bfcb414aa6343.png

^The main screen where you select a neighborhood. The buttons at the right are respectivly 'Ad neighborhood' 'Open world editor' 'Delete all neighborhoods' and 'Open neighborhood directory) at the bottom of the screen you see the description of the neighborhood if you hover over its name.
6538967a0403fb37ada117438a1b633a.jpg

The neighborhood-screen. You can buy a plot of land here. If you hover over a plot you can see it's information (price, name..) in the blue dialog box. In the future you'll be able to build some pre-set houses on the plots as well making Public lots that you character can visit. However the tools to customize the lots will be limited.

2d3378a4a2fa6e26f4bba02f64bd8732.png

The screen where all the action happens. The round button opens the catalog where you can buy objects. The 2 green labels are 2 needs (Hunger and Fun) and the white box (This will get some makeover soon) shows the thoughts of your character. e.g: If you chose that your character doesn't like Jazz and you put on Jazz using the radio, something like 'Seriously? Jazz?' will appear in the textbox.
b2e209e5d16519b1de3d236e86c1a7c7.gif

A gif that shows furnishing. The error was given because you can't buy a radio if there is no proper surface to put it on (the counter in this case)
04c5505163a8313b283c923cc5c83b5d.gif

As you can see it's not a very serious project and it's far from finished. (And don't mind the random labels everywhere in the corners). I know it's quit the same as The Sims qua concept, but i try my best to make it original. Also it is completly writtin in Windows Forms, hell yeah.

Critics are welcome, except 2 things: 1) I know the graphics sucks 2) No i'm not planning to learn c# or XNA in the near future. So please don't post comments like 'Please learn to use XNA' and stuff, thanks.

By the way, sorry for gramatical errors, english is not my native language.:)

Back