Windows 10 Version 1809

MeganElisabeth

I’ve just updated to the version they just released this month as an extension from the one released in October and the app will no longer open. Anything I can try?

ETA: So I have some absolutely fantastic news... the new launcher as well as TSO application are officially working now with OpenGL as well as with my program I use with it!!!!! (Knock on wood!) After uninstalling (updating windows required me to as the older would no longer open). I decided to take one last effort at getting it working before rolling back windows by disabling all of my antivirus software as well as closing Afterburner and Rivatuner and when I reinstalled it worked!!! Absolutely could not believe it was that.... my anti malware programs works fine with it but AB and RSS will not. They worked fine with the old launcher though. No big deal at all! Just ecstatic it’s working. I also noticed when I reinstalled with antivirus turned off it installed all of the downloads needed through the launcher in the same folder in program files whereas before when I installed and it wouldn’t launch with OpenGL it weirdly split files between program files and program files x86 with a folder entitled The Sims Online. So I think that may have had something to do with it. I am so very grateful to everyone on here for being so kind and helpful. I’m so glad it’s working! :)

Last edited:
I'm not on that version, so not sure if there's an issue with it. Does the game produce a dialog, and if it does, can you post a screenshot here?

I'm not on that version, so not sure if there's an issue with it. Does the game produce a dialog, and if it does, can you post a screenshot here?
Thank you SO much for responding. Is there anywhere I am able to install older versions of the launcher? I’m wanting version 1.3.3.

Is it the launcher that doesn't start? Unfortunately only the latest version is on the site ( https://beta.freeso.org/FreeSO Launcher Setup.exe ), but I can ask Maria if she has any old versions lying around.
You have absolutely no idea how much I greatly would appreciate you trying to find me the old version.. I reinstalled and it it is working properly now except for it will not allow me to utilize OpenGL with FreeSO popping up a message that my graphics have been reduced to the lowest possible every time I launch the application.. I’m also unable to utilize a program I used with FreeSO perfectly that I will greatly miss. Just really need the older version it seems.

Hello Megan,
There should be no need for older versions of the launcher, and compatibility hasn't changed. If version 1.3.3 worked for you 1.5.0 will also work fine.
The "graphics have been reduced" message is independent of the launcher, so using an older version of the launcher would make no difference.
Please try using DirectX if you have further problems with graphics performance.

Hello Megan,
There should be no need for older versions of the launcher, and compatibility hasn't changed. If version 1.3.3 worked for you 1.5.0 will also work fine.
The "graphics have been reduced" message is independent of the launcher, so using an older version of the launcher would make no difference.
Please try using DirectX if you have further problems with graphics performance.
Thank you very much for the response. Well, there has to be some sort of change somewhere included in a file or folder of the newer version with it working with an app I used with 1.3.3 that will no longer work with 1.5.0 though... yes I’ve used DirectX as OpenGL will not launch at all. I’m so confused because I have a 1080Ti so I have a fully capable card with the most recent driver and haven’t had issues before.. When using 1.3.3 I never received the graphics performance message and OpenGL worked perfectly.

I’m thinking updating windows corrupted the executable as it did this to two of my other applications and upon uninstalling and reinstallation they work just fine again. So I uninstalled version 1.3.3 without realizing I no longer had the download file as with the other applications I was downloading the exact same version and was successful. I just wish so badly I saved the download for 1.3.3 to go back to. Is there anywhere in the forums or anything it would be appropriate for me to ask if anyone happens to still have the 1.3.3 download file?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the response. Well, there has to be some sort of change somewhere included in a file or folder of the newer version with it working with an app I used with 1.3.3 that will no longer work with 1.5.0 though... yes I’ve used DirectX as OpenGL will not launch at all. I’m so confused because I have a 1080Ti so I have a fully capable card with the most recent driver and haven’t had issues before.. When using 1.3.3 I never received the graphics performance message and OpenGL worked perfectly.

I’m thinking updating windows corrupted the executable as it did this to two of my other applications and upon uninstalling and reinstallation they work just fine again. So I uninstalled version 1.3.3 without realizing I no longer had the download file as with the other applications I was downloading the exact same version and was successful. I just wish so badly I saved the download for 1.3.3 to go back to. Is there anywhere in the forums or anything it would be appropriate for me to ask if anyone happens to still have the 1.3.3 download file?
I am running Windows 10 Professional on 1809. FreeSO works fine for me in both OpenGL and DirectX mode.

Last edited:
I am running Windows 10 Professional on 1809. FreeSO works fine for me in both OpenGL and DirectX mode.
Thank you so very much for your response! Do you mind telling me what gpu and driver you have? Also, with what version you originally installed FreeSO with? Was the first install done with the most current 1.5.0 or an older version?

So I have some absolutely fantastic news... the new launcher as well as TSO application are officially working now with OpenGL as well as with my program I use with it!!!!! (Knock on wood!) After uninstalling I decided to take one last effort at getting it working before rolling back windows by disabling all of my antivirus software as well as closing Afterburner and Rivatuner and when I reinstalled it worked!!! Absolutely could not believe it was that.... my anti malware programs works fine with it but AB and RSS will not. They worked fine with the old launcher though. No big deal at all! Just ecstatic it’s working. I also noticed when I reinstalled with antivirus turned off it installed all of the downloads needed through the launcher in the same folder in program files whereas before when I installed and it wouldn’t launch with OpenGL it weirdly split files between program files and program files x86 with a folder entitled The Sims Online. So I think that may have had something to do with it. I am so very grateful to everyone on here for being so kind and helpful. I’m so glad it’s working! :)

It's great to hear that the recent Windows 10 update resolved the issues you were facing with your app. Tech glitches can be frustrating, but it's always a relief when a simple solution emerges.
Your experience serves as a reminder of how sometimes, disabling specific software or making minor adjustments can make a world of difference in getting things to work smoothly. It's a testament to your persistence in troubleshooting the problem.
As you continue using your updated Windows 10, it's essential to have a reliable source for a Windows key if you ever need one. This website is worth checking out in case you require one in the future.

Last edited:
Back