FreeSO Complete Setup Tool

xXJDrocks450Xx

I am back again with another program, this time with a very important FreeSO Setup Tool.
upload_2016-6-23_2-38-29.png

Colors for the progress bars go like this: Shades of blue for "In Progress" :: Orange for "Skipped" or "Paused".
upload_2016-6-23_2-41-10.png
The FreeSO banner picture was originally by @Alessandro Needs A Server , I have gotten permission for using it.
Perhaps some Points of Interest:

-This Launcher downloads to temporary .cab files. This means that it won't take up double TSO's size with installer Cabinet files and also extracted ones. It downloads, extracts, deletes the temporary cabinet, and continues.
-In case 1 or 2 of you don't know, this downloads from EA's ftp, so if that goes down this won't work to download TSO.
-This program was made in Windows Forms.
-This DOES have a page when you first open to select the install directory, but it looks pretty temporary and I will show it once I give it an overhaul.
-This isn't finished yet, of course. I plan to make it look more interesting, maybe by use of FreeSO gameplay pictures, to get the user hyped :p.
-I know full well that we still need features like download times, etc. I plan to do my best to implement such features.

But JD, what will it do?
This will make it easy for anyone new to FreeSO to get started quick and easy by downloading and extracting needed files for FreeSO to run, including stuff like the Sims Online install, FreeSO itself, and maybe even extras like launchers.
I am more than happy to take suggestions for this launcher! Post in this thread with thoughts or comments. Now I gotta sleep since its nearly 3:00 AM here.

Last edited:
What happens if the download gets interrupted? Does it remember its place (does not delete cabs until whole file available, restart from where it left off)?

What happens if the download gets interrupted? Does it remember its place (does not delete cabs until whole file available, restart from where it left off)?
Yes it will remember it's place. For example, if your internet goes down, it waits where it was until connection is regained. Right now, it simply waits at the last file downloaded, when you reconnect to the internet, it continues as normal. I also am going to implement if the user closes the setup unexpectedly to abort the extraction, and clean up before closing. (This isn't exactly a new feature to installers :p ). It deletes the .cab file after the extraction has completed, before moving on.

unknown.png

Latest Addition: OpenAL installer, will install a windows executable - since .NET framework languages (C++, C#, F#, VB) are used for Windows only - run the executable and then proceed.

upload_2016-6-24_11-13-46.png
Complete TSO and FSO installations with the launcher
unknown.png

Working FSO Client using the downloaded files from the launcher
UPDATE: Sorry for being so heavy on the pictures, I just wanted to show the first complete TSO install via my launcher. I also wanted to show how it downloads a complete install, allowing FreeSO to run in multiplayer, like a person using the application would do.

upload_2016-6-25_13-45-49.png
UPDATE: The latest addition includes a Download Information box to show the user when their TSO install should be ready. Now it may need some tweaking of course, I may not have gotten it right in one go. I just wanted to let you know that this is a feature in the works.
Last file processed will probably be hidden for Release, but it just shows how long it took for the last file to be downloaded and extracted in seconds.

Last edited:
upload_2016-6-25_23-23-5.png
UPDATE 1: So a quick thing I have to share is progress bar values now work correctly, download info for FreeSO download (Could be simplified) now implemented.
upload_2016-6-25_23-25-35.png
UPDATE 2: Secondly, packingslips are now downloading and extracting. 3 of 5 steps done now!

upload_2016-6-27_15-22-18.png
upload_2016-6-27_15-26-13.png
Latest: Coming up on the finish, we have step 4 of 5 working correctly. This will download and run the openal installer (oalinst.exe). Installation will continue while you go through the OAL Installation, to step 5: SLEEK- Launcher. Other than that just some bug fixing and refining done overall. More still needs to be done however to ensure a successful launch, as this program doesn't have a patcher, not that should be needed of course!
EDIT: Realizing now that it might be in order to make a quick change to kilobytes instead of bytes :p

Last edited:
Just letting everyone know, this project is alive and well. In fact, its complete! A few finishing touches and it should be ready for a first bug testing release!
Updates:
upload_2016-7-2_2-52-49.png
New launch screen,
upload_2016-7-2_2-55-52.png
Sleek launcher now installs and the troubleshooter works with install.
upload_2016-7-2_2-57-20.png
FreeSO install troubleshooter works great launching FreeSO and closing after a selected period of time. Same with the Sleek troubleshooter!

Wrapping Up:

In total, the setup tool is just about complete with all 5 steps working great. I would like you to note that a Tester's build for this game will probably come out Either July 2nd, or July 3rd. I will post when that drops.
I'm really tired so please excuse any mistakes on here, I will proof read this again after I sleep. :p

Back