FreeSO on Linux!

52fe2de8-329c-11e6-9e08-72591fba7603.png

Functions in mesa software renderer now, but you also need libsdl2-2.0-0 to get the game to boot, and you have to make sure MonoGame.Framework.dll is deleted from the game directory. (it seems to forget to do that)

Due to the changes made to monogame (DynamicSoundEffectInstance), no freeso compatible mac build of monogame is presently available.

I was getting the same error that Linuxer was getting, do I deleted Monogame/windows and now I am getting this error:
oK70AA0.png

That is weird, it should be looking for SDL2.o or something on linux, not dll. I'll have time to look into it later but not now... try copy the files from Monogame/Linux/ into the FreeSO folder itself. (specifically monogame.framework.config)

Ok I had the game files installed incorrectly. It was a little confusing and there were no Linux specific instructions. Maybe there should be a sticky. I am now having the graphics glitches but the game launches! Is there a fix for the graphics yet?

Last edited:
Ok I had the game files installed incorrectly
How did you reinstall the game files in order to fix the problem about the missing SDL2.DLL?

Fore those who are interested: The weird graphic that I reported in dist-255 also occurred when using the nvidia-drivers 367.35. It's apparently neither a problem specific to mesa nor an outdated nvidia-driver.

I had to install libsdl2-2.0-0:i386. Even after it launched I wasn't able to play it because of the graphics problem.

I think I cannot fully follow. For me it still looks like:

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
libsdl2-2.0-0 is already the newest version.[…]
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove […]
~/TheSimsOnline/drive_c/Program Files/Maxis$ mono FreeSO.exe
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.DllNotFoundException: SDL2.dll
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Sdl:GetVersion (Sdl/Version&)
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform..ctor (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game game) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamePlatform.PlatformCreate (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game game) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FSO.Common.Rendering.Framework.Game..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FSO.Client.TSOGame..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FSO.Client.GameStartProxy.Start (Boolean useDX) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FSO.Client.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Or do I specifically need the i386-Variant?

Your game is looking for the windows DLL. Copy the contents of /Monogame/Linux/ into the root directory, should include the metadata for linux build. Not currently dealing with that correctly.

Will a Linux version be available on the January 6th or will it only be available Windows currently?

Thank You

Here's a question: is anyone extracting the game's data from the installer? Do you have to install the game using WINE and then play it through mono? Is there a zip somewhere?

The Game works well on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (2D and 3D Mode). I Barely Get Lagpits Which perhaps is caused by Hardware Incapabilities . I Haven't found any glitch or bug yet
Did you follow this guide? I created a Lutris script that runs through the steps in that thread, but I do get occasional error spam but it works through it.

Last edited:
They likely followed a similar approach to the Mac guide, which mainly only works since Mac has a unix terminal and library ports.

Use the Discord app on Linux too? Want your Discord friends to see what FreeSO lot you're at without having to launch the game? Download discord-rpc-linux.zip from Discord's GitHub, unzip the file and paste discord-rpc/linux-dynamic/lib/libdiscord-rpc.so into the FreeSO folder, and your discord will show

dLZAVSv.png

When in a lot, (The icon changes based on what lot type you're in. Just went to a money lot and the hammer changed to a $) and shows
v1nvhcJ.png

when not in a lot.

Back