[OUTDATED] Creating your own server!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the SimAntics and Lot Debug button was removed. The game automatically goes to it now after you've finished in CAS.

Well thank goodness for that. I don't understand how to connect the client to my hosting tho. I added the port forwarding to the router and everything, got the hosting, static ip address, its all ready to go except for that. Or can anyone connect to me as long as im on my own client playing alone? Is my server just my own sim house? Not sure how it all goes yet.

You start hosting a server whenever you select a .xml house. Assuming correct port forwarding, others can connext to you.

When i'am playing minecraft on my own server with friends, i have to insert a new ip4v every day (i don't use portmapper tho) is there a way to make it static? My computer's IP is also not static and it's extremely frustrating T_T Thanks for the tutorial tho, i'll try it today :p

I'm not sure how secure it would be to make it static. There are applications out there that automatically update the IP for your domain or subdomain. That's what I have set for my server.

There is no security issue with static IPs, or using dynamic dns to point a domain to your IP. Security problems arise when an application is accessible on an open port which is vulnerable to external abuse, such as a mysql server or (old 8 char password) VNC.

as a newbie here, I am understanding that simply loading an Xml. lot file and running it on our own is already hosting a server. do we just simply put up our IP up on the forums for others to join or what? I'm not that tech savvy. Forgive me if this is a dumb question :p

as a newbie here, I am understanding that simply loading an Xml. lot file and running it on our own is already hosting a server. do we just simply put up our IP up on the forums for others to join or what? I'm not that tech savvy. Forgive me if this is a dumb question :p
Refer back to Page 1 of this thread, those are all of the necessary steps to creating a server in which people can join. :D

Refer back to Page 1 of this thread, those are all of the necessary steps to creating a server in which people can join. :D
Ok, Thanks again man, I got a little confused with Portmapper seeing as it needed Java installed and I didnt have it atm. But now im in the process of installing it (im on my Hp Stream laptop [IT CAN BARELY RUN SIMS ONLINE THATS HOW BAD IT IS]) but I'm making progress right now. IDK if its possible but if it is possible to host a server (through NO-IP) 24/7 I would be willing to be host because my pc is always on and idk if it works that way

Ok, Thanks again man, I got a little confused with Portmapper seeing as it needed Java installed and I didnt have it atm. But now im in the process of installing it (im on my Hp Stream laptop [IT CAN BARELY RUN SIMS ONLINE THATS HOW BAD IT IS]) but I'm making progress right now. IDK if its possible but if it is possible to host a server (through NO-IP) 24/7 I would be willing to be host because my pc is always on and idk if it works that way
Is it that cheap, colorful, toy-like laptop which specs are similar to my slicing board ones? (obiously slicing board was much cheaper and has less ports, but performance-wise)

Sorry for the offtop.

Is it that cheap, colorful, toy-like laptop which specs are similar to my slicing board ones? (obiously slicing board was much cheaper and has less ports, but performance-wise)

Sorry for the offtop.
lol no worries and YESSS THE VERY SAME.
Colored sky blue and makes the macbooks look like a giant cake compared to it in thickness
but in specs. omfg. I could not be more outdated!
gold source games (half life 1, opposing force, blue shift) seem to lag at an instant when flashlight turned on)
The Sims 1 lags in every mode especially when fast forwarding time.
TSO only seems to really lag when in mountain view but thats because of resolution I think. its forcing a higher one than my screen can support. (1366x768 I think)
But my home pc. oofa. thats my waifu for ever man. I would go on but yeah we are going a bit off topic lol
BACK ON TOPIC THO I cant run portmapper on my laptop :p I mean I can but I cant connect to a router because im on my university wifi. Im assuming I have to use my home comp to connect to router?

lol no worries and YESSS THE VERY SAME.
Colored sky blue and makes the macbooks look like a giant cake compared to it in thickness
but in specs. omfg. I could not be more outdated!
gold source games (half life 1, opposing force, blue shift) seem to lag at an instant when flashlight turned on)
The Sims 1 lags in every mode especially when fast forwarding time.
TSO only seems to really lag when in mountain view but thats because of resolution I think. its forcing a higher one than my screen can support. (1366x768 I think)
But my home pc. oofa. thats my waifu for ever man. I would go on but yeah we are going a bit off topic lol
Yeah I can relate. Ever since I first joined this forum I've been on a laptop. Now I have a Custom made desktop computer. Big difference. But my laptop was slightly better than a slicing board. But not by much. XD

BACK ON TOPIC THO I cant run portmapper on my laptop :p I mean I can but I cant connect to a router because im on my university wifi. Im assuming I have to use my home comp to connect to router?
I'm using my home router and It worked. So maybe that router might not be supported.

yeah im starting to think that because im on this school wifi it wont ever work lol. I start up portmapper and hit connect but it cant find the router, I believe because these school wifis are protected and stuff. :p but whatever at home Im on my own Ethernet router and I KNOW for a fact that it will work no problem. Soon as I forward port everything wibbly wobbly internetty thingies lol and I have a stable server running I'll pm u guys if ur interest . I should be home around 8:30 pm EST if not then maybe half an hour later. if anything I'll pm u guys exactly when im back. (Provided you guys are still online by then hahaha xD)

yeah im starting to think that because im on this school wifi it wont ever work lol. I start up portmapper and hit connect but it cant find the router, I believe because these school wifis are protected and stuff. :p but whatever at home Im on my own Ethernet router and I KNOW for a fact that it will work no problem. Soon as I forward port everything wibbly wobbly internetty thingies lol and I have a stable server running I'll pm u guys if ur interest . I should be home around 8:30 pm EST if not then maybe half an hour later. if anything I'll pm u guys exactly when im back. (Provided you guys are still online by then hahaha xD)
Yeah sure, PM when you have a server running and I'll join!

Well damn it all! Im on my home computer and I cannot seem to connect to a router :/ I dont understand what seems to be the problem. this is a steady home internet ethernet with a router installed in my room. In fact theres 2 routers in total (throughout my house) maybe im misunderstanding a step or something? Please halp :c
EDIT: It has just come to my attention that my router does not have (or support idk honestly) UPNP and cannot connect to portmapper. guess I wont be able to host anything now *tear drop*

Last edited:
guys fucks sake I wrote the guide wait for my assistance before you jump in with your shit
Well damn it all! Im on my home computer and I cannot seem to connect to a router :/ I dont understand what seems to be the problem. this is a steady home internet ethernet with a router installed in my room. In fact theres 2 routers in total (throughout my house) maybe im misunderstanding a step or something? Please halp :c
EDIT: It has just come to my attention that my router does not have (or support idk honestly) UPNP and cannot connect to portmapper. guess I wont be able to host anything now *tear drop*
On the back of your router, is there an IP address (ex. 192.168.1.255)? Connect to that, use the username and password specified.
I may be able to help of you specify your router model.

guys fucks sake I wrote the guide wait for my assistance before you jump in with your shit

On the back of your router, is there an IP address (ex. 192.168.1.255)? Connect to that, use the username and password specified.
I may be able to help of you specify your router model.
hmm. yes it does but how would i be able to connect manually? i dont see a manual connection option on portmapper.:eek:
router model is motoroal nvg589 (ATT Provider)

hmm. yes it does but how would i be able to connect manually? i dont see a manual connection option on portmapper.:eek:
router model is motoroal nvg589 (ATT Provider)
Sorry I didn't answer, I was unavailable all week and therefore I haven't really been on the forums ;)
Your router does support UPnP unless you enable it (which means you won't be able to host lobbies or servers for games unless you turn it on!). Usually, this is in the manual, but since I do not have the NVG589, I cannot directly help you. If you don't know where your manual is, there is one here, but I have not looked in-depth because it's quite large. If them manual doesn't help, look on the internet for "NVG589 NAT" and "NVG589 UPnP". You can then either open the port or use portmapper as mentioned in the guide.

Well, i have no idea if i did all the steps right, but it all seems to be in order after checking and double checking. i don't really understand how it all works, buuuut.... my host name is mdavis.ddns.net
Not sure how to test if it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back