Running the Sims 1 in Windows 10

Kiruu

So, recently I upgraded my old laptop to windows 10 to test it. Part of this was testing whether or not my older games would work with the new operating system, and that said it took a lot of fiddling around to try and get it running. That said, once it starts running, it's pretty smooth. I haven't had any problems so far.
1z4jw2b.jpg

It took me a bit of fiddling getting it to install but setup process was fairly easy. The sims 1 deluxe edition was a bit of a pain but I managed to get it running by going into the disks files and clicking setup.exe. Makin' Magic started up pretty much straight away so it may depend on how old the copy of the game you own is.
That said, just sticking it into compatibility mode doesn't seem to work, there's a couple extra steps.
vo7e51.jpg

1. Download a no CD crack. you can find this quite easily by googling it. Keep in mind to do this at your own risk, some antivirus software might pick up the file as suspicious, so it'd be worthwhile scanning the file before you unzip it anywhere.
2. Open up the path the game files are stored in, it's usually stored by default in (C :/Program Files (x86)/Maxis/The Sims/
3. Before you do anything its a good idea to backup the original application file just incase. Open up the no cd crack rar/zip file, and extract it in the path mentioned above. It should ask you if you want to overwrite the application files Sims.exe, click okay.
4. Start up the game, make sure it works!

Sorry about the large pictures, I couldn't get the file upload to work. Hope this helps anyone who has been having trouble finding out how to run the game like I was!

Interesting... On my Windows partition I can run the Sims 1 without fiddling around or using the compatibility tab at all.
I do get a black box above the games windows when I run it in window mode but pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete solves that.

Good work for testing that, will be better if you get Sims 1 Complete Collection, this can have better compatibility posibilities for the new Windows 10...

Don't forget to check reduced colours (16 bit). This makes it so only the application uses the required colours and not the desktop. You'll get a blank window on top of the game itself every-time it loads but that can be fixed by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and returning back to the desktop.

Create a shortcut to the game. Use command line arguments: -r1024x768 -w
You'll need to mod the game to get different resolutions. If you modify it though, some UI elements will break.

Back