[Windows, Mac] FreeSO Launcher

Sim

f1cx06l.png

FreeSO Launcher

Successor of FreeSO Update Utility/Launcher in a whole new shape and form.
Available for Windows and Mac

t1JTtZE.png
KpMn67m.png

3Jbv9Re.png
NEW Launcher Features
  • Cross-platform. Same launcher for both Windows and Mac OS X.
  • User Friendly UI. Easy to understand and use for everybody. Recent news, status and Twitter updates on the homepage so you don't miss anything.
  • Built-in Installer. Use the built in installer to install everything needed for FreeSO (FSO, TSO, OpenAL, .NET) in a breeze.
  • Direct Launch. If you want to head straight into the game without waiting for the launcher to load, you can do so by applying the Direct Launch configuration in Settings. You will always have the launcher ready for you in the icon tray.
  • Launcher Themes. Customize the look and feel of your Launcher with different styles and backgrounds. Including Open Beta and NEON theme.
  • Developer Mode. (Since 1.1.0) Right click the Play button to start FSO.IDE.
  • Simitone Installer/Launcher. (Since 1.7.0) Launcher section dedicated to Simitone.
Returning Features from its Predecessor
  • Language Selector. Returning from the old launcher is the Language Selector feature. Play FreeSO in your language with just a click of a button.
  • Launcher Updates. The launcher will only get better and better with future updates.
  • Improved Desktop Notifications. Enable and disable different desktop notifications for new game updates, news, and status.
  • Game Settings. Turn on DirectX or OpenGL mode, enable TTS (Text to speech), change your language.
  • Launcher Translations. You can also have the launcher in your language. It auto detects your system language.
Downloads
32/64-bit Windows 7 and above:
https://beta.freeso.org/FreeSO Launcher Setup.exe
64-bit Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and above:
https://beta.freeso.org/fsolauncher.dmg
Release Date
Summer 2017 (Windows)
Spring 2020 (Mac)
Issue Tracker & Reporting Issues
To report an issue with the launcher, you can respond to this thread or create a new GitHub issue.
More Information
For more information on how to use the launcher or how to contribute, please check out the GitHub repository, its README.md and wiki (which is still being worked on - contributing is allowed if you've used the launcher before).

Last edited:
When doing a complete installation, the installer page will show this backdrop with the global installation progress. (Will probably add game tips, and in game shots).
You can still see each individual installation progress going to the downloads page.

aOPtVC5.png

dDEQH4y.gif

If the installation fails, you will get a popup with an explanation and the global progress backdrop will disappear.

QuyGd9m.png

Beta launcher is being released in the next 2 days.

Game translations
To include your language as a language option in the launcher for users you need to send me the uitext files. If you have translated objects, send those too. You can send me a private message on the forum with the package.
I have translations from the previous launcher that I will proceed to use if the translators decide not to update them (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese).

Launcher translations
Send me these strings translated https://pastebin.com/raw/rdgprd8h.
Make sure you translate each string to approximately the same sentence length to make sure the UI is consistent.

Last edited:
You can download the launcher right now!
https://beta.freeso.org/FreeSO Launcher Setup.exe
Compatible with Windows 7 and above.

How to use with your current FreeSO Installation
Click FreeSO in the Installer section, and select the path where you currently have FreeSO installed.
It will detect that it's there and set that path as the game path.

Thank you for trying it out!
Make sure you report any bugs if you find any ;). And all suggestions are welcome.
This is not the final release yet, but this build it totally usable. It will be updated to the final release when it's ready.
I will keep accepting translations that will be included in future updates.

Have a good weekend everybody!

Last edited:
It's amazing! I love the news feed and the installation component pictures. The neon theme is also pretty cool too, the launcher culminates everything you need into a simple package (such as choosing between DirectX and OpenGL modes). The only thing that needs to be added is probably some repair options for when the installer doesn't work or there are other issues. Besides that it is a very polished and functional launcher that has potential to speed up the time that it takes for users to get to install the game and to get it to work properly. :D

The main issue for me is the checking for updates process since it doesn't complete and just loops over and over again..... o_O - 1/07/17 Pre-Release Stage (planned to be fixed when released completely)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sim
It's amazing! I love the news feed and the installation component pictures. The neon theme is also pretty cool too, the launcher culminates everything you need into a simple package (such as choosing between DirectX and OpenGL modes). The only thing that needs to be added is probably some repair options for when the installer doesn't work or there are other issues. Besides that it is a very polished and functional launcher that has potential to speed up the time that it takes for users to get to install the game and to get it to work properly. :D

The main issue for me is the checking for updates process since it doesn't complete and just loops over and over again..... o_O - 1/07/17 Pre-Release Stage (planned to be fixed when released completely)

Thank you for the feedback!
The repair options are on their way. Not particularly for the integrated installer because it already has fallbacks and its ways to recover from a failed installation. But for example to repair a failed update from the game client.

The checking for updates looping over and over again, do you mean that the toast alert in the bottom right is always showing and never goes away? (A screenshot would have helped to know what you were referring to right away). That should only happen if you have no internet connection, and should go away when the request to the update server times out.

If you actually had internet connection and the toast was showing permanently, then I would have to look into that. (Also notice that the toast appears from time to time because it automatically checks for updates by itself).

Thank you for the feedback!
The repair options are on their way. Not particularly for the integrated installer because it already has fallbacks and its ways to recover from a failed installation. But for example to repair a failed update from the game client.

The checking for updates looping over and over again, do you mean that the toast alert in the bottom right is always showing and never goes away? (A screenshot would have helped to know what you were referring to right away). That should only happen if you have no internet connection, and should go away when the request to the update server times out.

If you actually had internet connection and the toast was showing permanently, then I would have to look into that. (Also notice that the toast appears from time to time because it automatically checks for updates by itself).
Nice to know that it could just be my internet (or else the whole world would explode, :p)
It is just checking for updates continuously while the two spinning arrows keep going. Ill insert a screenshot too. ;) (Waited around for more than 30 minutes! :eek:)
It still hasn't finished yet....

PS: I still can't get over the neon theme :mad: But that's a good thing

Attachments

• FreeSO_Launcher_Stuck.PNG
    FreeSO_Launcher_Stuck.PNG
    247.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Nice to know that it could just be my internet (or else the whole world would explode, :p)
It is just checking for updates continuously while the two spinning arrows keep going. Ill insert a screenshot too. ;) (Waited around for more than 30 minutes! :eek:)
It still hasn't finished yet....

PS: I still can't get over the neon theme :mad: But that's a good thing
Okay, I'll make sure that doesn't happen in future updates. It's only a visual bug, really. The notification not going away. For now you can restart the launcher and it'll be good.

Amazing launcher, i love it! I noticed the italian translation is pretty out of date, i sent you the new one on discord! Great job Sim, great job!
Much obliged!

Version 1.0.1 released!
You should receive a notification right away. In this version:
  • Fixed an issue with update check timeouts (hopefully, report back @mrpenguinb).
  • Italian game translation has been updated.
  • Added a few missing language translation strings.
  • Added support for custom RSS feed and Twitter feed. For Spanish users, the FreeSO.es blog and FreeSOESP twitter will show.

Feature suggestion: easy to reach button / developement tab under settings or home to launch Volcanic, would be very handy. Even right clicking the play button would be cool, but if we right click play button it should say something like "You are now launching Volcanic" and then like "Okay" and "cancel".

Feature suggestion: easy to reach button / developement tab under settings or home to launch Volcanic, would be very handy. Even right clicking the play button would be cool, but if we right click play button it should say something like "You are now launching Volcanic" and then like "Okay" and "cancel".
Sure, I'll include a developer mode in 1.1.0.

Last edited:
Back