[Windows, Mac] FreeSO Launcher

Version 1.0.3
If you have been having errors (Invalid Signature) while trying to install FreeSO for the last few hours, try now (after updating).
Cloudflare was intercepting the FreeSO zip download.

• Added cleanup process when a FreeSO download fails due to the file being invalid or corrupted.

Version 1.0.4
  • Now using @RHY3756547's cabinet reader library for TSO installations, which has been a blessing for the launcher (finally got rid of CabLib :) ) A big thank you!
  • Improved FreeSO installation workflow.
Make sure you update if you want a smooth TSO installation :D

Last edited:
Version 1.0.1 released!
You should receive a notification right away. In this version:
  • Fixed an issue with update check timeouts (hopefully, report back @mrpenguinb).
  • Italian game translation has been updated.
  • Added a few missing language translation strings.
  • Added support for custom RSS feed and Twitter feed. For Spanish users, the FreeSO.es blog and FreeSOESP twitter will show.
I won't be able to report back on the machine that is not working with the launcher currently for about 2-3 weeks (it is running Windows 7), but my laptop works with the launcher though (Windows 10) and runs perfectly! :D

Reactions: Sim
im having a problem with downloading it keeps saying about javascript?
am i doing something wrong?

**************SOLVED********************

i delelted the launcher file completely off my pc then uninstalled all files to do with FreeSO (if some were left over i deleted them off) i then went into task manager and ended any FreeSO launcher that was running in there.
i then reinstalled the FreeSO launcher did the update downloaded everything fresh and then the game began running again!

Hope this helps someo of you :)

Last edited:
Versions 1.1.1 - 1.1.6
  • Made FSO and TSO installation more reliable.
  • Launcher can now auto-recover a lost FreeSO executable if the in-game updater fails. (Renaming freeso.exe.old, if present).

Last edited:
Version 1.1.7
A few fixes for bugs I've seen occur to a few people
  • Increase restart timeout after launcher update (to 8s) to avoid some possible updating issues.
  • Remove "is freeso running" check when clicking Play - tasklist.exe seems to be 2 intense 4 some people (causing it to hang). This was mainly introduced to avoid failed in-game updates in case you accidentally opened FreeSO.exe twice. Since the launcher now has auto executable recovery, this isn't needed either.
  • Make sure to check for updates only if there's an active internet connection.
  • Make sure setIntervals aren't running when the launcher is shutting down (caused an error to appear if you closed the launcher while they were running).
  • Fixed an issue with slow registry operations and checks. Making sure there is a fallback to false if they do not complete before attempting an installation.
Also started work on the native Linux/Mac build. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
The launcher works for me now! :D (Had to update the launcher manually instead though) The launcher is quite good and no longer gets stuck. Good work Sim!

Version 1.1.8
Hopefully last tweaks before I continue with new features.
  • TSO Installer now checks for cabinet corruption and solves the problem automatically.
  • Launcher updater also checks for corruption and won't update until the file is correct.

Sorry to put this out there, but I got some javascript errors appearing all over the place! :eek:
There were about 3 different types of errors, but I clicked too quickly.... :oops:
The errors appeared when the launcher was hidden and updating. Once the errors were finished complaining the launcher reloaded the browser section and it still worked.
I did get one of the errors though, so here you go:

Attachments

• JavaScript-Error-FreeSO.PNG
    JavaScript-Error-FreeSO.PNG
    329.4 KB · Views: 12
Sorry to put this out there, but I got some javascript errors appearing all over the place! :eek:
There were about 3 different types of errors, but I clicked too quickly.... :oops:
The errors appeared when the launcher was hidden and updating. Once the errors were finished complaining the launcher reloaded the browser section and it still worked.
I did get one of the errors though, so here you go:
The updater does need an overhaul to make sure it works for everyone, I'm working on it. For now, just ignoring the update by clicking 'Later' or updating it through the installer on beta.freeso.org can work if you have issues updating.

Version 1.2.0
  • Launcher updater redone. Should act nicely for everybody now.
  • Live Desktop Notifications have been implemented. Receive a desktop notification when FreeSO tweets, posts a blog post, etc... (can be disabled in settings).
  • A ton of other small changes and improvements.
Due to the extensive changes to the update system, this version (1.2.0) and later will only be available to new players. If you're on 1.1.8 and below that's perfectly fine as it will continue to work forever, but you won't get an update past 1.1.8.

You can obtain 1.2.0 from http://beta.freeso.org if you wish to update and receive future updates.

Version 1.2.2
  • Changed default directory from C:/Users/(Username)/AppData/Roaming to C:/Program Files. Since the launcher runs the game as an admin by default it shouldn't be a problem. There was a problem with special characters in PC's username using the AppData path. (You can still choose another folder if you prefer).
  • Added 3D Mode option (it won't do anything until the FreeSO update is released).
  • Added up-to-date italian and spanish translations.
  • Made the Content-MD5 header check compliant with web standards.

Last edited:
Version 1.2.4
  • New notification history tab to make sure you do not miss any desktop notifications.
  • The FreeSO installer now downloads a 16 MB dist from servo.freeso.org (lastSuccessful) instead of the full client (60+ MB) from my server.
  • Fixed some errors that rarely popped up when exiting the launcher while installing something.
  • Made the launcher installer show an error if they are on a version of Windows < 7 (Vista and lower not supported by Electron).

Back