FreeSO Complete Setup Tool

Please, add this setup tool as official, now that game is going to be released, will needed some easy way to allow all users download game content and keep it updated..

for some reason,it stops working on this part:
15578780_1160966350688070_4563419782822487379_n.jpg

Please Retry, and select "Install All"

Update -
The FSO Setup tool is being reworked to patch over previous bugs and fix glitches. I haven't been giving it enough attention because of other non-coding related work, and my other project I have in the works. Those 2 things, along with FreeSO, take up a lot of my time. However my second project will be put aside to focus on rebuilding the installer to make it more stable, user friendly, and faster.
Here are a few things I have planned so far:
  • DONE: Speed Upgrade for TSO Installs - It was already fast, by why not faster? In my tests so far, times have gone from an average .7 seconds to .55 seconds per CAB file for download and extraction! Needless to say, a lot faster than the Maxis default installer.
  • In Progress: Code Cleanup: From what I have learned with other projects, I am now going back and applying that to this for speed and stability. This was the main reason for this update!
  • Continue where you left off for TSO installs - I haven't worked with this much, but I could be useful for the future.
  • User Friendliness: It was already pretty straight forward, so I don't think much has to be done here. If you have any complaints post here!
    • I'm also thinking about adding hints while installing for something extra to hold them over while they wait. It would be an even mix of 'fun facts' and 'helpful tips'
  • Bug Fixing - This is a very high priority as recently the installer hasn't been too stable. The main problem is registry issues which I will look into further, but this will be difficult as my computers are both 64 bit. This means I can only test out 64 bit registry operations. I would appreciate testers, if you're willing to help out, message me on the forums or Discord!
Thank you all so much for using the FSO Installer!

Last edited:
That is excellent! I can't wait to use a more stable launcher to install and play FreeSO. Hopefully everything will turn out alright in the end. :cool:
You could say this is what I have been waiting for for a while ;) (Also I can do some testing for the launcher on 32-bit computers that I have)

Last edited:
The FreeSO Installer Tool is nearly complete!
It’s been a while, but I’m happy to report that both versions of the FreeSO Installer Tool are coming along very well.
Here are some things that are completed in the Installer so far:
  • Faster TSO Cab Extraction – This step received the most attention, as it is a more complicated step than any other is. The code was cleaned up quite a bit allowing for a faster and smoother setup procedure. On top of that, it allowed the next feature to be introduced.
  • Rewind – The Rewind feature is an extra safe guard to protect you against losing your TSO installation progress. It checks every CAB file downloaded to make sure that the CAB is not corrupt, and will not cause a problem regarding extraction. A corrupt cab could happen anytime, so with this feature, it should not be a problem anymore. (Available for GS only)
  • Registry Fixes – There have been many problems regarding the registry with the recent build. Those problems have been done away with! In multiple closed tests, the testers reported no problems regarding the registry step. Furthermore, in every test that I performed, the registry was never an issue.
Regarding the GS Installer:
  • Hints – While the installation is in progress, you will see hints slide in and out on a 30-second basis. These Hints (and now Facts as well) can give you basic information to starting in FreeSO. Mostly about lot types and how you can use them to your advantage.
    • Example: If you wanted to make more money, try getting some friends together and head down to a money lot.
  • Facts – Mentioned briefly before, these are more of the Fun Fact variety ranging from when FreeSO started; to who made the assets of the installer and what cool things TSOMania.net has to offer.
  • Uninstallation Feature Upgrade –Uninstalling FreeSO is a piece of cake! The Installer will detect if you have TSO installed. If you do it will remove FreeSO and TSO from the desired locations, specified when you first launch the Installer. This Uninstallation step will remove the following:
  • The Sims Online
  • FreeSO
  • Registry Entries for TSO
  • Shortcuts on the Desktop
  • All Programs Shortcuts
  • SLEEK- Launcher (Legacy Installer Only)
  • Packingslips (Legacy Installer Only)
Would you like to try it?
Well you have a couple of options this time!
Both of those versions don't incise you?
Well stick around, because I have something for you all too.

Last edited:
I have two issues with this installation.
1)How do I copy over my character files into the new installation?
2)How come when I press Ctrl Shift N, it launches FreeSO? I use this shortcut to open private tabs and now I can't, help? lol

I have two issues with this installation.
1)How do I copy over my character files into the new installation?
2)How come when I press Ctrl Shift N, it launches FreeSO? I use this shortcut to open private tabs and now I can't, help? lol
Your characters will be saved on the FreeSO Database in the GS version, so this shouldn't be an issue in the future.
I don't know what you mean by Ctrl Shift N launching FreeSO, the only time it launches FreeSO is at the end of the installation when you have the "Launch FreeSO" checkbox ticked. There is however a Command Prompt enabled in the version by pressing Ctrl, however this will be disabled in all Release versions of each of my installer varieties.

So when the global server comes out we'll have to remake our characters?
Maybe It's just ctrl, but it launches FreeSO when I press it while Google chrome is open. It confused me completely xD

i'm getting an error message about a handler:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at OfficialFSOInstaller.Form1.pictureBox5_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.6.1590.0 built by: NETFXREL2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Official FSO Installer Utility x86 Edition
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Official%20FSO%20Installer%20Utility%20x86%20Edition.exe
----------------------------------------
System.Windows.Forms
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

I still had the option to install so i'm going to continue, I will edit here any problems i encounter

OK, it won't install; I think i ran into this problem before and never came back to the site. I really would like to play if someone can help me here. Thanx

Thanks for submitting your exception

I'll take a look as soon as possible. When did you get this build? And did you get it from this thread or from play.freeso.org?

Beta Build for Legacy Installer and GS Installers:
upload_2017-1-3_18-18-4.png
Recently there have been some issues regarding a missing installation of Visual C++ 2010. This build should remedy this by catching the exception that can be caused by not having the installation. If the user was to then select OK from the dialog box shown above, it would download and launch the correct installer for their PC. (Detecting if 64 or 32 bit for them)
This build also means that the installer should run with only the files bundled, and will direct the user on how to obtain files as needed.
This build can be found at these links:

Last edited:
hello! I'm not very active in the forum but I've been watching since the beginning. I'm so bad with computers it's pitiful lol.
I failed to install the game the first time because I had some connectivity issues. The second time around I was able to finish the install but when I went to open the game I got this error message. I hope that it's in my post. Any help would be great. Thanks for all that you do!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    67.6 KB · Views: 12
hello! I'm not very active in the forum but I've been watching since the beginning. I'm so bad with computers it's pitiful lol.
I failed to install the game the first time because I had some connectivity issues. The second time around I was able to finish the install but when I went to open the game I got this error message. I hope that it's in my post. Any help would be great. Thanks for all that you do!
Looks like it is failing to find textures.xml in your "C:\Program Files\FreeSO\The Sims Online\TSOClient\packingslips" directory and maybe some other files too. Check if that directory exists along with the textures.xml file.

Hiiii! I'm having the same problem as above.
error 2.png
I checked and that file is actually missing
Packingslips folder.png
But it's not in the cab files either so I don't know if it's supposed to exist...
CABfiles.png
Alsooo, I tried to use the installation files I already have in my laptop (by copying them into the temp folder) and I got this message
error.png
It looks like the setup tool couldn't extract the cab files 1112-1114? Idk, I can't read these kind of things, really...
I've been searching for a fix but I haven't found anything yet, so if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate that a lot <3

PS: Sorry for so many screenshots, I wanted to give as much information as I can.

Hiiii! I'm having the same problem as above.
View attachment 2102
I checked and that file is actually missing
View attachment 2103
But it's not in the cab files either so I don't know if it's supposed to exist...
View attachment 2104
Alsooo, I tried to use the installation files I already have in my laptop (by copying them into the temp folder) and I got this message
View attachment 2105
It looks like the setup tool couldn't extract the cab files 1112-1114? Idk, I can't read these kind of things, really...
I've been searching for a fix but I haven't found anything yet, so if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate that a lot <3

PS: Sorry for so many screenshots, I wanted to give as much information as I can.
This is a good bug report.

However there will be a new installation version in the coming day that will include the packing slips. If you want to look in the forums for the Dropbox link to the packing slips and install them manually, you can do that. Otherwise your issue will soon be fixed.

This is a good bug report.

However there will be a new installation version in the coming day that will include the packing slips. If you want to look in the forums for the Dropbox link to the packing slips and install them manually, you can do that. Otherwise your issue will soon be fixed.
Thank you so muuuch!! :D:D:D
Solved
yay.png

The “Sunrise” Release:

upload_2017-1-4_22-13-47.pngupload_2017-1-4_22-12-18.png

I am proud to announce that the Installer’s reworking is finally ending! This update is the best yet with quality of life changes to make updating the installer easier and quicker. On top of that, Alessandro again made a fantastic UI style to make the installer look better than ever! Even on top of that, new features arose out of this new UI style including a direct link to the registration page to register quickly and easily right within the installer itself. After they have registered, the play button is right below to get players into the game with ease!

Notable Changes:
  • New UI style (as seen above)
  • Register Button, with registration right within the installer.
  • New Auto-Updater updates your installer quickly and easily. Virtually no input is needed, and it will always alert you of a new build. (You can choose not to install updates, though it is not recommended!)
  • Installer connects online to get the latest information such as Hints, Facts, Updates, Updated Links, and more!
  • Downloads FreeSO GS build 409 (FreeSO GS has updater built in)
  • As per usual, bug fixes as well!
  • Basic path checker to make sure users don't select invalid paths. (As seen above)
Notable Problems that this will fix:
  • CabLib.dll not found – The installer downloads and opens a program, which should fix the issue. If not, this link is always updatable (without having to download a new version) if needed.
  • textures.xml not found – This will fix this issue. FreeSO GS no longer requires packingslips. Therefore, packingslips will not be downloaded in the GS build.
Note that this build applies to the GS build only! The legacy version will have the same UI as always as FreeSO is about to enter a Global Server Beta stage.

Would you like to try?
If this tickles your fancy then you can try it out by downloading it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0lh70eq8s1op1l/GSInstaller.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
The launcher is in an unbelievably polished state. I have never seen such community spirit for a game such as the FreeSO community. :D From launchers to blueprints for house and the whole project in it self.

Back