FreeSO Complete Setup Tool

@xXJDrocks450Xx Is this tool safe enough to provide it to the "Noobies" now? :D lol
Edit: I have now shared it to the FB Group :) *Fingers crossed* Thank you again JD for doing this!
No problem :). I hope everything goes well for the people who need it! Hopefully most bugs have been done away with, though if they come across any it would be much appreciated if they could post back here with the error.

Can you add the option to create a shortcut to FreeSO on the desktop? (if it doesn't exist already... didn't see the end because it crashed at openal) I think some people are still trying to run the old game.

Can you add the option to create a shortcut to FreeSO on the desktop? (if it doesn't exist already... didn't see the end because it crashed at openal) I think some people are still trying to run the old game.
Sorry for the late response, but at the end of the installation there are options to add FreeSO to all programs, and to create a shortcut to Sleek- Launcher. I am going to real quick make it that if Sleek- wasn't installed to create a shortcut straight to FreeSO instead.

unknown.png

Updates include:
  • Fixed the post installation window so that it places shortcuts to Sleek- Launcher if you selected to install it, otherwise it places a shortcut to FreeSO.exe to prevent confusion.
Visual Changes:
  • Added more launcher bar messages. Originally there was only reticulating splines, now there are 11 messages that are randomly picked every time you start a TSO installation.
Like usual, I am open to suggestions for things to add or change!

Reposting this for you to consider:

- I run install twice what happens? Is the application idempotent (does not redo unnecessary changes)?
- if I have any step already installed from outside the launcher does it successfully verify this?
- if the installer is force quit in the middle of a step how does it handle that situation when restarted?
- work properly on multiple platforms (Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10)?

The inconsistency between the fonts is killing me + they don't even look right, are you using MS Sans Serif?

Reposting this for you to consider:

- I run install twice what happens? Is the application idempotent (does not redo unnecessary changes)?
- if I have any step already installed from outside the launcher does it successfully verify this?
- if the installer is force quit in the middle of a step how does it handle that situation when restarted?
- work properly on multiple platforms (Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10)?
- That is a very good idea, right now it does not verify what has been installed.
- Once again it isn't detecting currently installed programs but is a very good idea for the future.
- What might be a cool idea is with the TSO installation, when it is forced to quit it leaves 1 cab behind, perhaps we can use that to continue TSO installations where they left off. To answer your question, it starts over when forced to quit currently.
- It will work properly on any platform that supports .NET framework 4.6.

upload_2016-7-20_18-55-2.png
Latest Updates Include:
  • The OpenAL Progress Bar's color was changed to a lighter shade of blue to make it more readable.
  • the fonts were made more consistent, and was changed to Segoe UI.
  • Another suggestion was by @mallhew , who suggested the idea of detecting what steps were already installed and what ones were left to complete. As such this Beta Build sports the first implementation of this where, when a new step starts, it detects whether or not that is installed already. If it is, it alerts the user of this, but still gives them the option on whether to install or not.
  • Lastly, and a big requested change was the starting background and "FreeSO Banner" Picture, located on the left side. I asked @Alessandro Needs A Server about this and we both thought that the picture below was much more colorful, neat, and architecturally interesting than the old background. I hope that this is a step in right direction!
  • The Installation path textboxes have once again been adjusted, this time lowering the size and changing the color back to black.
upload_2016-7-20_19-8-23.png upload_2016-7-20_19-12-48.png
As always you can download this by clicking the download link on this post, the link has been updated.
If you have anything to comment on, please say it here to better the FreeSO Setup tool!

Last edited:
Latest Updates Include:
  • Whenever you install Sleek- Launcher by itself, it now opens the post install window, giving the user the option to create a shortcut for Sleek.
  • To make it easier for users of Windows, it now automatically forces admin. bypassing the old message box completely. Thanks to @RHY3756547 for linking me to a tutorial.
  • Removed the "Beta Test -" text from the window label.
Download Link Here
EDIT:
  • Quickly fixed the glitch where FreeSO would have download info saying "Downloaded -- of -1 Bytes", if this happens, it gets changed to "Downloaded -- ". However if the filesize is received, it will display the other message.
upload_2016-7-27_21-46-27.png

Last edited:
Back