FreeSO Complete Setup Tool

Good day,
I keep getting an installation error while using this launcher:
upload_2017-1-9_0-50-51.png
I could probably download TSO manually, but I'd thought I'd let you know.
I'm quite excited to try this. I've always wanted to but I only discovered TSO after they closed it down again.

The next build of the installer is well underway!
Now I know what you're probably thinking, this is a little overkill for only an installer. You're probably right in the regard. This build really did need to happen though. This upcoming build might be the last major build for the installer right now, as this build includes many things that can be altered without needing a whole new version.
Now there is a lot to talk about in this build.
For those who are curious, here are just a few things to expect:

• A crash handler: I have put a lot of work into this and I'm really proud of it so far as it is designed from the ground up to be user friendly and intuitive. There will be a lot more news about this later, including even some usability elsewhere.
  • The two installers being merged: The legacy installer is falling behind. I have said before that the legacy installer is nearing the end of support. With this version here, we can blend the features of the legacy installer with the GS installer to offer the crash handler and other features for legacy installations as well.
  • Under the hood changes and future proofing steps: This crash handler reaches farther out into the installer than you might think. The installer can now recognize commands (which once again can be altered through the cloud) to perform certain actions. Right now it's currently downloading a new patcher forcefully, however that's just an example of it's usability.
I would really appreciate your help! If you have some free time, check back to this thread for updates on the installer's progress. I will release info about installer patches, as well as links to beta version downloads.
Unlike previous betas that I've done, these are meant to show off new features, but are otherwise usable for FreeSO installations as well.

FreeSO GS Installer Beta Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnqvm1q6n0wbh4y/FreeSO GS Installer.zip?dl=0

New Beta Build of the Installer!
This build has a number of fixes and the first implementation of the installation switcher.
NOTE: If you want a stable experience this might not be the build for you! This can install Legacy and GS FreeSO, however there might be a couple of glitches. Please remember to send them to me for fixing!
Download the beta version of the FreeSO Installer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7cdszm4ppezccm/FreeSO Installer Public Beta.zip?dl=0
P.S. If anyone has references to a file called "Official FSO Installation Utility x86 Edition.exe" it has been officially renamed to "FreeSO Installer.exe".

This build has a number of fixes and the first implementation of the installation switcher.
NOTE: If you want a stable experience this might not be the build for you! This can install Legacy and GS FreeSO, however there might be a couple of glitches. Please remember to send them to me for fixing!
Download the beta version of the FreeSO Installer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7cdszm4ppezccm/FreeSO Installer Public Beta.zip?dl=0
P.S. If anyone has references to a file called "Official FSO Installation Utility x86 Edition.exe" it has been officially renamed to "FreeSO Installer.exe".
I tried installing this on my Laptop the same one I haven't been able to get Freeso Legacy to run on... I can't get my OpenGL upgraded too 3.0 my video wont let me.
Ok what happened... I unzipped started FreeSO Installer exe and it said it had to update it added more file to my folder then it started from beginning and said I had to update it just did the same thing minus adding more fills and started over.. said again I had to update. over and over. I gave up..
Then I decided to try again on my computer that I have been playing TSO on for over a week.. It did the same thing on my computer as it did on my lab top until after about 15 times I decided to exit the installer and clicked the exe that it had added with the first update (Official FSO Installer Utility x86 Edition exe) then freeso loaded fine..
was that your intention? was I supposed to run FreeSO Installer update once then exit and run freeso with Official FSO Installer Utility x86 Edition exe? if so worked great

except now I cant get onto freeso Legacy and play :( its giving me a error about the packing slip guess I am going to try running freeso legacy installer again hopefully it will fix the problem.
Hope this helped you in some way.

Yes it says you have to update because you're using a build different than the latest release build. Therefore when you updated, it gave you the latest release build. In doing that, you just avoided the beta build all together.
Your OpenGL 3.0 problem is likely a hardware issue. Make sure that you have updated your graphics drivers fully. If that's the case you would have to update to hardware that supports OpenGL 3.0 or higher.
Plus, you can hit cancel to avoid installing updates in the installer!

Yes it says you have to update because you're using a build different than the latest release build. Therefore when you updated, it gave you the latest release build. In doing that, you just avoided the beta build all together.
Your OpenGL 3.0 problem is likely a hardware issue. Make sure that you have updated your graphics drivers fully. If that's the case you would have to update to hardware that supports OpenGL 3.0 or higher.
Plus, you can hit cancel to avoid installing updates in the installer!

Yes I finally gave up on my Lab Top. its to old.
I knew that I may have to redo everything, but you where wanting beta testers right? its the only thing I can do to help right now.
To be clear.. (Because I am not sometimes) The New Beta Build of the Installer continues to install updates in a loop until you cancel and then open Official FSO Installer Utility x86 Edition exe to install.
hope that I am making sense. Thanks

Currently using Windows 10 x64.
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable was not installed, so FreeSO began the installation process for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64.

However, since the complete setup tool is x86, the x64 c++ installer was not the correct one.

It looks like you should always use the x86 visual C++ otherwise the setup tool will fail.

I ended up grabbing the x86 installer from cnet:

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-...butable-Package-x86/3055-2383_4-75451146.html

edit: looks like this is fixed in the beta x86 installer.

Last edited:
Issue I bumped in to the same as simsuncensored with the updater - but when I clicked the "Official FSO Installer Utility x86 Edition.exe" it failed the first attempt, but I tried again and now it's installing it... any idea what could be happening with the updater?

Hello Everyone, I literally just came across this site, so forgive me If I am repeating previous threads or discussions. I am a bit excited with all of this talk up.
I successfully downloaded the game however it says "You're a little early buddy, come back closer to the launch of the Beta to create your account"FreeSOaccount.png FreeSO.jpg

I've read that there has been some delays etc etc...
Hopefully I didn't miss the cut-off or what have you.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Hello Everyone, I literally just came across this site, so forgive me If I am repeating previous threads or discussions. I am a bit excited with all of this talk up.
I successfully downloaded the game however it says "You're a little early buddy, come back closer to the launch of the Beta to create your account"View attachment 2174 View attachment 2175

Thanks in advance!
If you want to play the sims online you have to install the Legacy (earlier version)
check this page out.
http://forum.freeso.org/threads/how-to-join-a-server-and-install-freeso.676/

I successfully downloaded the game however it says "You're a little early buddy, come back closer to the launch of the Beta to create your account"View attachment 2174 View attachment 2175

Thanks in advance!
I replied to your post last night.. not sure why it didn't post.
you can't load that version of freeso yet.. you need a earlier version to play.
get the right version here. http://forum.freeso.org/threads/how-to-join-a-server-and-install-freeso.676/

WindowsMEStyle.png
New Release of the FreeSO Installer!
This new version has some cool new features and will be one of the last major releases of the installer. What this update does is it combines the two installers together to form one nice and neat package. Players can choose which release of FreeSO they would like to install, and the installer will then install everything needed for that version. Furthermore, this update adds a crash handler that will give the users options to fix the problem from within the crash handler itself so they can easily fix issues without having to run to support all the time for installer crashes.
upload_2017-1-28_14-28-8.png
Useful Features:
  • Crash Handler helps to fix issues by connecting to a database and making searches based on keywords about the issue and all crashes under the same exception type.
  • Two Installations, FreeSO G.S. and FreeSO Legacy.
  • Information stating that FreeSO is not affiliated with Electronic Arts.
  • Slight Changes to FreeSO extraction process.
  • Pictures for FreeSO Hints and Facts.
  • Hints now centered with other groupboxes on screen such as the installation progress bars and download info boxes.
upload_2017-1-28_14-30-41.png
Download Links:
For 64 or 32 bit Windows PCs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0lh70eq8s1op1l/FreeSO Installer.zip?dl=0
Feeling Lazy? Just let the Installer Update itself by clicking "Okay" when it asks you to update!

I like the logo at the top :p Its based on the Windows ME logo...
Hey you noticed :D
It's more specifically based on the Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 logo.
16_UserExperiencesEvolvingthebluee_6.jpg

Yep, even though I am a fairly young I still like to play around and tinker with older operating systems. (I grew up with Windows XP :D)
I was not off by that far though with the logo though ;)

Greetings! This is my first time in the forums and I have only recently installed the game.
I logged into the account I made online in the game, as I clicked a button (I'm not sure what it was, but I have already logged in by this point.) It told me to update to the server's version. So I did, and it told me to restart the game. I ran the game as administrator, but instead it showed this Exception error. I'm honestly very horrible in stuff about computers, in short... help?
ExceptionError.PNG

Greetings! This is my first time in the forums and I have only recently installed the game.
I logged into the account I made online in the game, as I clicked a button (I'm not sure what it was, but I have already logged in by this point.) It told me to update to the server's version. So I did, and it told me to restart the game. I ran the game as administrator, but instead it showed this Exception error. I'm honestly very horrible in stuff about computers, in short... help?
View attachment 2224
Reinstall FreeSO and TSO (Try re-installing FreeSO first) :D
If that doesn't work try updating your graphics drivers. (Vendor's website or Windows Update will suffice)

Small Release - Build 1.0.26.17:
Nothing too large, it's a bug fix for a crash when the installer couldn't connect to the it's DB. From now on you will only be notified if it can't connect right before downloading TSO and core features of the installer (TSO, FreeSO, and OpenAL installations) will be fully functional.
As always you can report bugs straight to me and they will be fixed as soon as I can!
You can get this update from my Dropbox or using the installer's updater!

Back